Might be another beater tire thread......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or not.
smirk.gif

Time to maybe send my wife's 11 year old car off in style...Her Kelly Navs have served well, but wore faster than I thought they would. So that means it's time for some new tires...

Rather then torture you with what is cheapest tires for my old ride, I'll let you guys pick from my list...
wink.gif
. Tires have to go at least 60k, and simply be a good all round all season tire. It's not like like 14 inch tires are going to give me better handling anyways......on with the list...

General RT43- Have the RT's (old ones) on my another cav. Been good fun tires so far..no snow testing on those though....

Sumitomo LST touring- Have the old version on my Cobalt. Wearing very, very well. Handling is pretty good....pretty decent in the snow...cheapest of the bunch. My size in made in Japan...

Cooper CS4/Mastercraft Avenger Touring- These tires seem to get good reviews from pretty much everyone I know. Uncle has these on his Focus....gave them great reviews for winter. Drove the car, handles well......

BFG Touring TAs- Drove a co workers car with these in the same size as mine...also liked the way they handled. Know they do okay in the winter, as my neighbor could still get out of her driveway and down the street this winter with no trouble....

Yokohama AVid touring S- Never tried this brand of tire, but it is another tire that gets good ratings from the people around me.......

Feel free to throw another tire if you choose.
smile.gif
These tires will being going after I do the control arms on her car.

I have the Yokohama Avids on my 06 Honda Odyssey. I like the tires. Great ride and stands up well for a heavily loaded van.

Wears a little faster than I anticipated, but not too bad. I have no idea about snow performance. Overall, a "safe" choice.

It's too bad the CS5s don't come in 14" because that would have been a good deal with the DTD rebate that was just going on.

My Dad has the CS4s on his Cavalier since last year and likes them.

Personally I would vote for the RT43s based on everything I have read/seen, and given that a new rebate just opened up today.

Always get the best tire for the worst conditions they'll ride on...
Tires for what conditions?
Tires for what kind of driving?
Tires for what car?

Treadlife is the only criterion you gave, and that's not really not enough for a particularly relevant response.

What kind of car? What tire size? I don't want to suggest a tire that isn't available in your size!

The tires you mentioned are all good choices, but the CS4 has been replaced by the CS5. The new tire might have a better rebate, but of course if you get lucky the CS4's will be on closeout at a great price.

Another good tire is the Dunlop Signature II. Made in the USA.

Sumitomo also has a new touring tire called the HTR Enhance LX. Made in Thailand.

The Michelin Defender is another reliable choice.

The Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum is also good, if it's available in your size.

Goodyear's Assurance Fuel Max may also work for you.

have the cs4 on my elantra in 15".
tested new snow at 150 miles. pretty good (actually pretty good surprised)
got a skid on black ice.
pretty good in water/rain/standing puddles of water.
i thought they are getting discontinued and replaced by cs5?

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
Always get the best tire for the worst conditions they'll ride on...
Tires for what conditions?
Tires for what kind of driving?
Tires for what car?

Treadlife is the only criterion you gave, and that's not really not enough for a particularly relevant response.

Yes, make/model/tire size would help a lot ! ....

I thought the OP is shopping for an early 2000s Cavalier
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
my wife's 11 year old car
It's not like like 14 inch tires are going to give me better handling anyways
General RT43- Have the RT's (old ones) on my another cav.

Originally Posted By: 99Saturn
confused2.gif

LOL.....yeah, maybe I should have threw a little extra out there....the details:

2003 Cavalier sedan/ base model
195/70/14 tire size
Needed for all seasons/large potholes (Michigan ones!)
50/50 (city/hwy) driving
Looking for a little extra grip, but the bigger concern would be "cushion" both for the roads and her struts.

Can add more if needed..

Originally Posted By: Pops1050
If I understand you're reshoeing and readying your wife's car for sale. If that is the case I would go with a reasonably priced tire and call it a day.

Not quite...wife is driving this one to the grave....it sits a just a tad over 100k right now. I'd be happy to get around 200k on it if I can.

I know the motor could get there, but it will depend on how long I can keep the rust at bay....

confused2.gif

LOL.....yeah, maybe I should have threw a little extra out there....the details:

195/70/14 tire size
50/50 (city/hwy) driving
Looking for a little extra grip, but the bigger concern would be "cushion" both for the roads and her struts.

Can add more if needed..

That's what we needed.

And it's always good practice to list the year/make/model and tire size. Your cars aren't listed in your sig, but if they were, then you'd say "195/70-14 tires for my 03 cav" or something.

None of the tires I suggested in my previous post are made in 195/70-14, except the Defender.

Walmart has the Goodyear Integrity at a good price, and even their WM-exclusive Viva 2 isn't so bad.

Yokohama makes good tires. I wouldn't hesitate to use them! Also, I didn't see it listed in your OP until just now.

You may also be interested in the Vredestein Quatrac 3, which is one of those "all weather tires" like the Nokian WRG2/3, but at a better price.

The Falken Sincera SN211 is on rebate.

Cooper doesn't make the CS3 or CS5 in your size. They have the Lifeliner listed on their site as available in your size, but they replaced it with the CS3, which isn't. So your only Cooper choice is the Trendsetter SE.

If you want a really expensive tire, and a laugh, there's the Vredestein Sprint Classic for over $200 per tire, twice the price as the Defender. Ouch! But it's V-speed rated haha

The Defender would get my vote. Not the best at anything, but good at all. They've held up well for us and we drive a lot of oil and chip roads that really ate up previous Hydro Edge and Coopers.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
confused2.gif

195/70/14 tire size
50/50 (city/hwy) driving

Can add more if needed..

That's what we needed.

And it's always good practice to list the year/make/model and tire size. Your cars aren't listed in your sig, but if they were, then you'd say "195/70-14 tires for my 03 cav" or something.

None of the tires I suggested in my previous post are made in 195/70-14, except the Defender.

Walmart has the Goodyear Integrity at a good price, and even their WM-exclusive Viva 2 isn't so bad.

Yokohama makes good tires. I wouldn't hesitate to use them! Also, I didn't see it listed in your OP until just now.

You may also be interested in the Vredestein Quatrac 3, which is one of those "all weather tires" like the Nokian WRG2/3, but at a better price.

The Falken Sincera SN211 is on rebate.

Cooper doesn't make the CS3 or CS5 in your size. They have the Lifeliner listed on their site as available in your size, but they replaced it with the CS3, which isn't. So your only Cooper choice is the Trendsetter SE.

If you want a really expensive tire, and a laugh, there's the Vredestein Sprint Classic for over $200 per tire, twice the price as the Defender. Ouch! But it's V-speed rated haha

Yeah, I noticed Cooper was killing quite a few tires in my size, though I was told Mastercraft line was going to keep a few..

The integs are about the same as the Kelly tires that she has on now. Not great, but they could still work...though the Viva 2s crack me up with their off road looking tread. Lots of beaters around here have them, so there is something to be said for that..

Will have to read up on the Q3s.....

If I end up at DT, then either the Yokos or the RT43s would work....

Originally Posted By: lukejo
The Defender would get my vote. Not the best at anything, but good at all. They've held up well for us and we drive a lot of oil and chip roads that really ate up previous Hydro Edge and Coopers.

Thought about that....not sure though if I want to invest that much money (100+ bucks) on a car we'll have for another few years or so, when there are so many good tires 20-40 bucks less..

That being said, there is a chance we might take a few longer road trips with this car. And that is where the defenders would earn their keep...

Still very much worth the look...

I am ready to buy you a set of tires so that I do not have to continue seeing these threads.

lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back