Fram Cartridge Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey All,

Just changed the oil on a buddy's 2007 Hyundai Entourage. Pulled out a Fram CH9999 cartridge filter with ~5k on it. There was a significant failure over about 50% of the upper glued seam. He provides the oil and filter, so the same thing went back in it.

IMG_20140629_202423711.jpg

IMG_20140629_202406548_HDR.jpg

IMG_20140629_202350723_HDR.jpg

"It must have been built in a Purolator factory."

:p

Its never good to see failures crop up, and it make one think that maybe failures of all brands are a lot more common than we think. Can filter failures only get discovered when someone bothers to open them, which is a very very tiny percentage of the total number sold. Cartridge filters can be discovered if someone just bothers to LOOK at it when it comes out, at least, but honestly I bet most of those don't even get more than a passing glance as they get pitched in a bin.

The brief rise and eventual fall of the OCOD.....

The FRAM, even though less than perfect, still likely filtered the oil adequately.

Just like the Purolators.

These things are disposable filters.

If they didn't wear out, you wouldn't have to replace them regularly.

I am yet to find a Toyota(Denso) or Denso oil filter that failed. They all look good after being in service six months. I have to admit that we don't drive that many miles anymore.

Bonding cellulose/glass media to the ends are a problem. Cartridge oil filters like TG8765 have wrap-around metal to help, and others like HU816x have deep glued end caps. ... Motorking, a Fram tech lead and poster on these forums, may not want to comment on this.

Like any manufacturing, a few flawed units here and there is acceptable. Doesn't seem like you hand an engine failure so all is well. If this becomes a trend, then I will be concerned.

I am pretty sure Fram will want your old filter for an analysis and they'll send you a new one.. unlike some other brands who will basically tell you not store their filters and to pound sand.

Originally Posted By: boundarylayer
Bonding cellulose/glass media to the ends are a problem. Cartridge oil filters like TG8765 have wrap-around metal to help, and others like HU816x have deep glued end caps. ... Motorking, a Fram tech lead and poster on these forums, may not want to comment on this.

You again??

Last edited:
That's an interested approach...but gluing the media to the endcap is kinda risky IMHO.

I like the way Mann does it; they inject the resin in such a way that it bonds the plates and forms the endcaps at the same time.

2z6zbdi.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Are the ends still glued or did they tear allowing unfiltered oil to pass?

It was fully separated allowing unfiltered oil to pass.

Also, all the pleats were straight, so it wasn't a situation where pressure collapse caused the failure.

Hello,
I work for FRAM. we would like very much to see the filter. Please call 800-890-2075 and press the option for claims and quality. We will evaluate the filter and provide feedback.

Originally Posted By: Andy636
That's an interested approach...but gluing the media to the endcap is kinda risky IMHO.

I like the way Mann does it; they inject the resin in such a way that it bonds the plates and forms the endcaps at the same time.

Good point, but is the Mann design application specific? The FRAM filter in the original post seems to have grooves cut in the end caps, which would be harder to do with the Mann design you posted.

The OP shows the good and bad of cartridge filters all in one post... on one hand, failures are immediately obvious when you remove the filter without needing to cut anything open. On the other hand, filter manufacturers are more limited in how they design the replacement filters. Design flaws (if any, not saying that is what happened here) in the OE design will tend to be passed on to the aftermarket. Patents may prevent aftermarket manufacturers from producing an exact and ideal replacement (this seems to be a problem for Ford 6.0L Power Stroke owners).

Hopefully FRAM can get to the bottom of this. Glad to see Motorking posting to this thread and offering to help as usual. It is always nice to see companies responding to customer issues like this.

Quote:

I like the way Mann does it....

A google search will reveal that Mann also uses a composite/nylon type endcap in some applications, as does Mahle, Wix and Purolator etc. In fact in my observation the nylon composite type endcap may be the most common type cartridge construction. And the great majority of those posted here post use, look perfectly fine including those I've used and posted myself.

I've not seen one like this previously posted.

Originally Posted By: Andy636
That's the same way Denso do it for their Totota-branded filters, both cartridge and spin-on.

Even though the filter failed, its not like the engine detonated. Sure it may be passing unfiltered oil but the media is still there doing its job with whatever oil makes its way through, right?
What's the worst that can really happen from an oil filter failure? (Please no flaming, this is a genuine question)

Originally Posted By: Motorking
Hello,
I work for FRAM. we would like very much to see the filter. Please call 800-890-2075 and press the option for claims and quality. We will evaluate the filter and provide feedback.

Yes, you too can work for Fram for free! Seriously, if Fram can't already uncover problems from random sampling, on their own dime, then what can a consumer do? They already have a picture of it. Now, Fram, go out and see what the statistics are of failures.

Of course, the customer can get a coupon for another Fram oil filter to tear and potentially let chunks infest their engines, yay!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back