GMC Canyon oil sumption issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a 2007 GMC Canyon with the 3.7 liter 5 cylinder. I was using an oci of 10,000 miles with Supertech 5w-30 full synthetic. Usually during this interval the oil consumption would be minimal less than a 1/4 of a quart. At the oil change at 140,000 miles I noticed it had used a full quart of oil in 10,000 miles. I took note of this and started keeping better eye on the oil level thinking maybe the engine was getting to that age where it naturally start to use more oil. Well, at 146,000 miles I noted that it had already consumed another full quart of oil. So, I went ahead and did another oil change. Well, now the truck has 150,000 on it and it hasn't used a drop of oil at all. There are n o leaks anywhere(these atlas engines are very oil tight) and engine performs like new. Is it possible that an oil control ring(s) got stuck somehow and freed itself?

Try another brand of oil and see what it does. Maybe try some MaxLife for 5k miles and see what it does? It doesn't seem to be a big fan of the SuperTech.

Actually I'm fixing to to switch this vehicle over to Fram (Conoco-Philips) 5w-30 full synthetic. I picked up several cases at a dollar a quart at auto parts store that was going out of business. I've used Supertech for years in other vehicles of mine with no issues. My 1993 Chevy has over 400,000 miles on it using Supertech(Warren) oils.

I would suspect the PCV before I would believe an oil control ring sticking/unsticking. At that mileage, if you have not changed the PCV, it might be a good time to do so.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
I would suspect the PCV before I would believe an oil control ring sticking/unsticking. At that mileage, if you have not changed the PCV, it might be a good time to do so.

+1

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog

+1

IIRC, these engines do not have PCV valves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back