My daughter took her Camry to Ford fastlane...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. that is normal pricing for a synthetic oil change..

that car depending on year and engine calls for a 0w20 like you said. they're gonna use a full syn, as there are practically no syn blends in that weight, valvoline maxlife is only one I know of other than Honda I think..

so they're gonna cover there [censored]. use spec's weight.

stop crying about it.

and for all of you screaming stealership, this is what all shops typically charge.. at least they used the correct spec weight oil!!!! most cheap shops woulfda thrown whatever in there and if a warranty issue came up (unlikely but happens) bam could a been screwed. because unlike OCI, and brand, Magnusson moss doesn't cover using out of spec weight unless I've understood something wrong.

Maybe your daughter wanted to window shop a new Fusion or Mustang convertible while getting her car serviced??? :)

Originally Posted By: Redpatches
Doesn't she have a boyfriend to do all the car stuff for her? Geez!

MY daughter's BF can't even maintain his own car, much less her's !

Originally Posted By: Vikas
OP is just watching this train wreck in progress from far. He has not come back.

I guess my biggest problem when I started this was that knowing how much it costs for the oil/filter and doing it myself, was a lot cheaper than $75. My daughter is 26 years old and doesn't live at home. I told her that this was a "stupid" idea to have "fast lane" do the oil change, but if she makes that kind of money, "more power to you"! I'll keep doing my own maintenance until my body tells me otherwise...

Originally Posted By: jdelk69
Originally Posted By: Vikas
OP is just watching this train wreck in progress from far. He has not come back.

I guess my biggest problem when I started this was that knowing how much it costs for the oil/filter and doing it myself, was a lot cheaper than $75.
I'll keep doing my own maintenance until my body tells me otherwise...

My body talks to me pretty much the same...that it's time to pay someone to do the heavy lifting...you can buy the oil and filter for your daughter ($30) and let her take it to the dealer and get the OC for $20, in and out in an hour...simple, right?

Last edited:
Seems like a reasonable price to me. If the shop was slow she may have even had an actual tech do the oil change over a fast lane employee.

Not every dealership is an evil scamming nightmare. I have seen oil changes that were a $ loss for service because we had to outside purchase oil and a filter that we didn't stock and the writer did not figure for this when he priced and sold the job.

There is very little profit in oil changes. They are just a tool to get cars in the shop for the opportunity to sell repairs.

I know its hard to believe but there are a lot more dealers today that are becoming a little more honest than years ago because these days its hard to keep it a secret if you are a crook there are reviews everywhere online.
I actually know two dealers that are strait shooters... Of course i deal with about 20 different ones and i know of only two but they are out there if you are lucky to find one but its the same everywhere in every business the difference is the honest ones stay in business

It was not stupid
She was charged a fair price
Stop crying about it and dont make her feel wrong about doing it

I find using the quicklane is a good deal. On special I have gotten a couple bulk Motorcraft 5w-20 with a motorcraft filter and a tire rotation along with a fluid top off for $39.

My girlfriend has a 2013 impreza. The dealer charges her just over $100 per oil change and tire rotation using their bulk 0w-20. She only goes in every 10k miles but that is still high for a impreza using stocked materials. I'd rather take her car to the ford dealer and have them use M1 for $80.

I don't have everything I would need to change our oil at this time.

I love how many part here are amazed that Parts + hourly labor some how costs more than just parts alone..

No [censored] if you just get the parts it's cheaper to do yourself.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
It was not stupid
She was charged a fair price
Stop crying about it and dont make her feel wrong about doing it

agreed. $100.. it was a fair price for synthetic.

Originally Posted By: Mach1Owner
[censored] I went to Pepboys and 0w20 mobile1 cost me about $50 just for the oil, no filter.
I honestly don't know how Pepboys and Autozone compete against Walmart's incredibly low oil prices. 5-quart jug of 0w-20 M1 is $26 there.

Originally Posted By: boundarylayer
[censored] I went to Pepboys and 0w20 mobile1 cost me about $50 just for the oil, no filter.
I honestly don't know how Pepboys and Autozone compete against Walmart's incredibly low oil prices. 5-quart jug of 0w-20 M1 is $26 there.

You guys will know better how it is in US but here superstore? oils are cheaper but are also of lower specification..For example it's like SM vs SN spec.

I'd be proud of her for the fact that she takes care of her car and went on her own to have the oil changed. I'm willing to bet the dealership barely made any money on her oil change,because they had to have a parts chain deliver individual quarts of M1 to them (they have to use a parts chain for things like that),so they had to pay parts chain prices (and maybe a 10-20% discount at most),therefore their profit margin was much smaller than if they used bulk MC synth.

Be sure to tell her you're proud of her and that she did a good job taking care of her car.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Originally Posted By: boundarylayer
You guys will know better how it is in US but here superstore? oils are cheaper but are also of lower specification..For example it's like SM vs SN spec.
In the U.S. you can get oils like Mobil1 0w-40 (first quality) and Castrol Edge Extended Performance at Walmarts, and there are a lot of Walmarts in the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back