Picked up a 3.0L EcoDiesel Ram 1500 Truck (video)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a 2014 EcoDiesel Ram 1500 a couple weeks ago, have 2,000mi on it so far. I made a quick "video tour" of sorts for the truck.

It includes the sights & sounds of it running from outside, engine bay tour, video of the air suspension in progress (sped up for time), and a quick tour from the driver's seat.

Originally Posted By: Bryankkkk
Saw this on /r/dodge i believe.

Yessir. Posted by the same username too.
smile.gif

The specs on these look very appealing. Particularly like the diesel in the Grand Cherokee application where it matches the tow rating of the 5.7 Hemi, and matches the MPG rating of the 3.6L Pentastar. :)

Whatcha think so far? Have you towed with it yet?

Originally Posted By: Bryankkkk
Haha went back to make sure :p

smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
The specs on these look very appealing. Particularly like the diesel in the Grand Cherokee application where it matches the tow rating of the 5.7 Hemi, and matches the MPG rating of the 3.6L Pentastar. :)

Whatcha think so far? Have you towed with it yet?

I have not towed with it - and don't actually tow often - I use the bed of my trucks a lot, but I probably towed under a dozen times in the 4 years I owned my last truck.

General driving though, I love it so far! On the long road trip I took (Wisconsin to Indiana - 10 hours of round trip in the same day) - I actually averaged 28.8mpg with the cruise set either at 70 or 75 depending on the traffic and local speed limits.

Driving to and from work on country roads (mixed driving) - I'm getting anywhere between 24 and 26mpg just back and forth between work on my 30 minute commute each way. My F150 that I switched from only got 16mpg on a good day, downhill, with a tailwind.
smile.gif

Plus it rides so smooth. So far, so good!

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Great vehicle. The best pickup truck package out there at this point, at least in my opinion.

Thanks! That is why I went this route!

I am very interested in this vehicle as well. Tell me a few things....what did you pay for it out the door? Is that suspension leveling automatic or can you shut it off? What is the payload of your rig? How do you expect maintenance costs to run compared to a normal Hemi gasser?

Originally Posted By: TSR6

I have not towed with it - and don't actually tow often - I use the bed of my trucks a lot, but I probably towed under a dozen times in the 4 years I owned my last truck.

General driving though, I love it so far! On the long road trip I took (Wisconsin to Indiana - 10 hours of round trip in the same day) - I actually averaged 28.8mpg with the cruise set either at 70 or 75 depending on the traffic and local speed limits.

Driving to and from work on country roads (mixed driving) - I'm getting anywhere between 24 and 26mpg just back and forth between work on my 30 minute commute each way. My F150 that I switched from only got 16mpg on a good day, downhill, with a tailwind.
smile.gif

Plus it rides so smooth. So far, so good!

Nice mileage!! I wish there were more small diesels available here in the states. My Element gets 24mpg on the hwy, got 22mpg this last weekend in a road trip to Wisconsin, lots of hills making the car downshift a lot. A nice torquey diesel would have been awesome.

Originally Posted By: TSR6
I picked up a 2014 EcoDiesel Ram 1500 a couple weeks ago, have 2,000mi on it so far. I made a quick "video tour" of sorts for the truck.

It includes the sights & sounds of it running from outside, engine bay tour, video of the air suspension in progress (sped up for time), and a quick tour from the driver's seat.

What is the tow capacity, payload, rear and front axle ratings (from the sticker on the door pillar) on that bad boy? These looks like really interesting trucks and I'm jealous of the mileage you are getting. Love that diesel rumble in your video! I'm just a little worried that the payload ratings are on the low side limiting the effective tow rating for things like travel trailers (at least from what I've read).

I like it. I like the concept of a half ton diesel like that and hope they prove to be very reliable. My biggest complaint was that knob they have for a shifter! But then I guess it was Chrysler that had a push button trans way back in the 50's and 60's so I guess a knob isn't really a stretch.

Originally Posted By: ryansride2017
I am very interested in this vehicle as well. Tell me a few things....what did you pay for it out the door? Is that suspension leveling automatic or can you shut it off? What is the payload of your rig? How do you expect maintenance costs to run compared to a normal Hemi gasser?

I'll tell you to expect around $6-8k off msrp based on my experience, and based off what I've seen on the Ram Forums. I was right in the middle, but made them give me a tonneau cover to close the deal.

The suspension leveling (when you're towing or hauling) I is automatic, and I do not believe it can be shut off. I havent dug into that yet.

Maintenance costs will be a little bit more - Oil change itself is a 10.5quart system, the filter is a $30 filter (until someone other than Mopar makes one, which I am told is in the works), and the oil is a couple bucks more a quart. That being said, the OCI is longer on the Ecodiesel, and I suspect it will be fine pushing it further than the recommended 10k mi - either way, I'm not too concerned here if it costs a little more every couple months, as I'm saving $$ every day in fuel costs on my hour drive round trip to and from work over my F150 that I switched from.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Thanks for posting.

That's a good color too.

A lot of people are interested in owning a truck like yours.

Thanks!!!

Originally Posted By: EdwardC

Nice mileage!! I wish there were more small diesels available here in the states. My Element gets 24mpg on the hwy, got 22mpg this last weekend in a road trip to Wisconsin, lots of hills making the car downshift a lot. A nice torquey diesel would have been awesome.

Hope you had fun in my home state! Where'd you end up going in WI?

My drive to and from work is a lot of country roads and some hills, so I know exactly what you mean.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979

What is the tow capacity, payload, rear and front axle ratings (from the sticker on the door pillar) on that bad boy? These looks like really interesting trucks and I'm jealous of the mileage you are getting. Love that diesel rumble in your video! I'm just a little worried that the payload ratings are on the low side limiting the effective tow rating for things like travel trailers (at least from what I've read).

It's a little less than the Hemi version of this truck. The engine is only 50# more, but I suspect all the emissions controls and such may have added weight too. I'm going out the door shortly, so I'll check and try to report back in the next hour or so...

Originally Posted By: morepwr
I like it. I like the concept of a half ton diesel like that and hope they prove to be very reliable. My biggest complaint was that knob they have for a shifter! But then I guess it was Chrysler that had a push button trans way back in the 50's and 60's so I guess a knob isn't really a stretch.

The shifter knob isn't a big deal. I got used to that faster than I've gotten used to not needing to turn a key to start it (push button start)

Here's a video of the shifter knob:

I think the shifter knob looks good and gives you some more room compared to having a shifter sticking out the side of the steering wheel like on my Silverado which blocks some of the radio controls at times.

Can you manually select the gear as opposed to just putting it in drive? I really like in the Silverado the ability to select the gear when towing, especially in hilly/mountain areas (going up and going down).

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
I think the shifter knob looks good and gives you some more room compared to having a shifter sticking out the side of the steering wheel like on my Silverado which blocks some of the radio controls at times.

Can you manually select the gear as opposed to just putting it in drive? I really like in the Silverado the ability to select the gear when towing, especially in hilly/mountain areas (going up and going down).

I had a center console shifter lever before, only complaint is that I don't have somewhere to rest my right arm...lol

It does have gear +/- selection buttons on the steering wheel - I haven't used this feature much (just on flat ground, downshifting to try the buttons).

Thanks for the video! Sweet ride!

I have been a Ford guy for 25 years but man I love the newer Rams inside and out.

Congrats on the new truck and please keep us posted with updates (good or bad) !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back