Looking for a starter bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of people buy a Ninja 250 as a first bike and grow tired of it which is why there are lots of used ones on the market. It's a good starter bike, but if your a responsible adult rider, I'd get something with more power. Look for a Yamaha Seca II. Liability insurance is cheap on bikes if you shop around say like State Farm or Geico.

I am taking it this upcoming week. I rode dirt bikes a lot before so I have the whole clutch system down and shifting is second nature. I was told by a friend to start on like a Honda rebel, use it until next spring or whenever I feel comfortable on a motorcycle, and then sell it and go find a new bike that I want. My budget for a bike is 7k, but I don't want to spend that much now, especially on something ill get rid of in less than a year. I've been told Honda CBR's are good, like there 500r. Is a 471cc engine "quick" enough?

I'm about your size and my wife has a rebel 250, I find it extremely cramped even for a very short trip.

If you have some dirt bike experience and are going to take the MSF then I think you would outgrow a 250 very quickly. I think a 500 or larger would be a good start.

You've been given some good suggestions, the challenge as I see it will be finding a reasonable candidate in that price range. In my experience street bikes are normally either very well taken care of or completely neglected and the completely neglected out number the very well taken care of by a sizable margin.

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
I am taking it this upcoming week. I rode dirt bikes a lot before so I have the whole clutch system down and shifting is second nature. I was told by a friend to start on like a Honda rebel, use it until next spring or whenever I feel comfortable on a motorcycle, and then sell it and go find a new bike that I want. My budget for a bike is 7k, but I don't want to spend that much now, especially on something ill get rid of in less than a year. I've been told Honda CBR's are good, like there 500r. Is a 471cc engine "quick" enough?

If you have lots of experience on a dirt bike, you are already far ahead of someone that started out with just an MSF course. Bike control that is second nature, means you can devote your riding time to watching out for hazards such as cars, tarsnakes on a hot day, animals that will want to run across the road right in front of you, etc.

The main thing I would suggest, is to always assume you are invisible while riding on the road, and ride accordingly. People in cars are too preoccupied with their phones, music, putting on make-up, shaving, reading, whatever it may be, and aren't looking out for you.

The CBR 500 parallel twins are probably good bikes for someone that has dirtbike riding ability already, but is new to street riding. They will be able to get out of their own way, but not likely to get you in over your head in the blink of an eye. They are a long ways off in terms of performance, from say a CBR600.

I bought a 6 year old GS500 for $2100 and have been riding it for about 7 years now. It's my first bike, but I still have it and commute with it. It's by far not too small for highway riding but not terribly fast too.

It's a great first bike. It's very mechanical, so the only things to go wrong are due to lack of maintenance. No fuel injectors, just a carb, easy valve clearance checks.

I would not get a new bike even if you're experiences, just get a good used beginner bike, and sell it for not much less. You won't lose much.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I bought a 6 year old GS500 for $2100 and have been riding it for about 7 years now...

Almost my experience exactly, including the price. I bought a '96 GS500 back in 2003, still riding it today. Ditto everything Edward says about its suitability for a new rider. An excellent option.

OP, you sound like you have a great plan for yourself in mind so please do not listen to people trying to talk you into a newer/faster/more expensive bike than you need right now. You have all the time in the world to get those bikes later. You only have this first few years to learn how to street ride safely, best to do it on something inexpensive and manageable.

jeff

Thanks! I appreciate it
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
I am taking it this upcoming week.

Most MSF schools use some variation of a standard 250cc bike such as the Honda Rebel, so by the time you're done with the class, you should have a pretty good idea whether such a bike will be good for you as your first bike, or whether you're confident enough to start on something slightly larger.

My first bike was a 4-year-old Suzuki GZ250, and I only kept it for 4 months. I lost about $200 on it when I sold it, and it was money well spent. I rode it quite a bit during those 4 months and it helped me build confidence and practice what I learned in MSF class.

However, unlike you, I never road dirt bikes or any motorized bikes in my life before that, so you're one step ahead there, for sure.

Good luck!

You state that you have ridden before. So what bike fits you most, as far as driving position? You like the forward position of a sport bike?

I'm 5'8" and weigh the same as you and I prefer sitting "in" a bike rather than "on" a bike. That's due to my short inseam. I feel better flat footing a motorcycle rather than tip toeing to hold one up.

But it's your preference, not mine, as to type of bike you want. Good luck in your decision!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back