Ford duratec 1.4 16v with a3/b4 oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frend just bought a 02 Fiesta and without looking changed oil with a3/b4 5w40.AFAIK this engines are spec'd for a1/b1 or a5/b5.Car runs fine,maybe fuel economy is a tad off.Oil is expensive here so is he OK to the next OCI? What do you guys think?

It'll be absolute fine, a3/b4 is a tough spec to meet, generally described as;
A3/B4 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use in high performance gasoline and direct injection diesel engines, but also suitable for applications described under A3/B3.
(The specs under a3/b3 are largely the same, except they explicitly state extended drain intervals)

You ca. Sleep well at night!

Thanks mate.What would you recommend for next OCI,to continue with A3/B3 or something else?.Motorcraft is only dealer here so that is out of the question.Maybe Mobil 3000 x1 FE 5w30?

Any 5w30 or 5w40 that you can get on offer should be ok when used with a half decent filter and a reasonable change interval, the engine isn't very hard on its oil in the first place.
Use a name brand synthetic.if.you want to stretch out the service interval.

I don't understand why you wouldn't run the A1/B1 or A5/B5 oil. Why run something thicker than necessary?

Thanks guys,will tell him to run this oil for OCI and after he could go with a5/b5 for better economy.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Frend just bought a 02 Fiesta and without looking changed oil with a3/b4 5w40.AFAIK this engines are spec'd for a1/b1 or a5/b5.Car runs fine,maybe fuel economy is a tad off.Oil is expensive here so is he OK to the next OCI? What do you guys think?

Considering i know area very well:) there is popular leaning toward heavier oils. I personally would go there with little bit heavier oil, but not 5W40 ACEA A3 but maybe 5W30 ACEA A3. INA should have 5W30 ACEA A3.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Considering i know area very well:) there is popular leaning toward heavier oils. I personally would go there with little bit heavier oil, but not 5W40 ACEA A3 but maybe 5W30 ACEA A3. INA should have 5W30 ACEA A3.

LOL i know,i was running Rs 10w60 in every petrol car before i came here.But INA isn't an option,we both buy oil from the same guy so there is to choose from Mobil,Shell,Selenia and Castrol.Selenia and Castrol are more expensive so they are out.And i have friend that works in refinery at Urinj,this is where INA oils are made,and guy is great and all but when it comes to engine oils i would stick with something else.I had issues with their petrol so now for me only Slovenian Petrol.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edyvw

LOL i know,i was running Rs 10w60 in every petrol car before i came here.But INA isn't an option,we both buy oil from the same guy so there is to choose from Mobil,Shell,Selenia and Castrol.Selenia and Castrol are more expensive so they are out.And i have friend that works in refinery at Urinj,this is where INA oils are made,and guy is great and all but when it comes to engine oils i would stick with something else.I had issues with their petrol so now for me only Slovenian Petrol.

I had issues with Slovenian diesel, turbo went off bcs of Petrol diesel.
Then go with Mobil 5W30 ACEA A3 or Shell Helix 5W30 ACEA A3( do not go with ACEA c2 or C3 for that engine).

Then go with Mobil 5W30 ACEA A3 or Shell Helix 5W30 ACEA A3( do not go with ACEA c2 or C3 for that engine). [/quote]

I'm surprised you had issues with Petrol.Sorry to hear that.OMV and Patrol are considered to be best petrol stations here but you never know.BTW thanks for your recommendation,much appreciated,this is a good friend of mine,but not really a petrolhead so im obliged to help him.Edy,ca si Istrijan ili Primorac,sam skuzil po prici da si od tu?

Then go with Mobil 5W30 ACEA A3 or Shell Helix 5W30 ACEA A3( do not go with ACEA c2 or C3 for that engine).

I'm surprised you had issues with Petrol.Sorry to hear that.OMV and Patrol are considered to be best petrol stations here but you never know.BTW thanks for your recommendation,much appreciated,this is a good friend of mine,but not really a petrolhead so im obliged to help him.Edy,ca si Istrijan ili Primorac,sam skuzil po prici da si od tu? [/quote]
Actually I was involved in fuel testing in Bosnia, and we found Petrol had worst diesel n the market! Petrol is just merchant, buying cheapest fuel and selling it. OMV is another thing.
Ma jok, bosanac od glave do pete
smile.gif

Actually I was involved in fuel testing in Bosnia, and we found Petrol had worst diesel n the market! Petrol is just merchant, buying cheapest fuel and selling it. OMV is another thing.
Ma jok, bosanac od glave do pete
smile.gif
[/quote]

OMV did withdraw from our market last year but they both were buying fuel from INA. Only 100 octane petrol was comming from Austria.Problem with INA isn't their fuel,it's their ancient petrol station and equally old underground fuel tanks.In Rijeka most of their stations are from 1950's
LOL, ja sam Fiuman ali zena mi je iz Tuzle,dosla je tu za vrijeme rata.
grin.gif

With the earlier Zetec Ford engines using a non A1/B1 oil, no A5/B5 back then, would cause top end issue, namely it caused the valves to stick.

For that reason alone I would change it if it was my car.

Yes they may no longer have issue that they had then but why take the risk.

It should be remembered that all Ford petrol engines have been engineered with these low HTHS oils in mind.

Can't see why cost would be a huge issue as you can get Castrol Magnatec A5/B5 for the same price as a3/b4 in the UK and we are not know for having cheap oil.

Perhaps your friend could order from Opieoils or Demonoils, they may both deliver to Croatia

Also all Fords since the mid 90's have used 5w30 apart from the Ford Ka and the Focus RS, there may be more but that is the only two I can remember off hand.

It will likely make little difference over one OCI but definitely get the proper stuff in there next time.

If you have any family or friends travelling to the UK they could find the correct oil easily.

Though checking out Opie and Demon and seeing how expensive shipping is is certainly an idea.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigjl
With the earlier Zetec Ford engines using a non A1/B1 oil, no A5/B5 back then, would cause top end issue, namely it caused the valves to stick.

For that reason alone I would change it if it was my car.

Yes they may no longer have issue that they had then but why take the risk.

It should be remembered that all Ford petrol engines have been engineered with these low HTHS oils in mind.

Can't see why cost would be a huge issue as you can get Castrol Magnatec A5/B5 for the same price as a3/b4 in the UK and we are not know for having cheap oil.

Perhaps your friend could order from Opieoils or Demonoils, they may both deliver to Croatia

Also all Fords since the mid 90's have used 5w30 apart from the Ford Ka and the Focus RS, there may be more but that is the only two I can remember off hand.

It will likely make little difference over one OCI but definitely get the proper stuff in there next time.

If you have any family or friends travelling to the UK they could find the correct oil easily.

Though checking out Opie and Demon and seeing how expensive shipping is is certainly an idea.

A5/B5 are available and cost the same as A3/B4 oils. Probably oils are cheaper here than in UK so no need for ordering from UK, but thanks any way.I told him to run this interval with 5w-40 and after switch to A5/B5. Mobil 3000 fe is cheapish here and it should work fine.

Cheers.

I have used Mobil Super 3000 X1 FE 5w30 (i think thats the correct name, lol) in several Fords, Volvos and in my Pathfinder and a mates CRV (2.2 cdti non dpf)

I have found it to be a great oil.

Only caveat with that was this OCI on the Pathfinder i noticed the engine became noisier towards the end of the OCI.

Though i admit i ran it past my usual 5/6k or 6months all the way to just shy of 9k and 12months. It now has Castrol Edge 5w30 C3 back in it.

The good thing about Mobil Super 3000 is that it has low saps even though it is not regarded as a low saps oil, around 0.8 if memory serves.Certainly gave no problems in the Pathfinder which has a dpf.

I have used Mobil Super 3000 X1 FE 5w30 (i think thats the correct name, lol) in several Fords, Volvos and in my Pathfinder and a mates CRV (2.2 cdti non dpf)

I have found it to be a great oil.

Only caveat with that was this OCI on the Pathfinder i noticed the engine became noisier towards the end of the OCI.

Though i admit i ran it past my usual 5/6k or 6months all the way to just shy of 9k and 12months. It now has Castrol Edge 5w30 C3 back in it.

The good thing about Mobil Super 3000 is that it has low saps even though it is not regarded as a low saps oil, around 0.8 if memory serves.Certainly gave no problems in the Pathfinder which has a dpf.

He is not going to have issues with that oil. It is actually Mid-SAPS.

Many C3 oils have Saps of around 0.8

My Jag needs low saps and also a fuel economy oil so the specced oil is C1.

Anything below 1.0 is low saps in my book.

Call it mid saps if you prefer.

What was actually added to the thread by your comment?

The mention of the saps level was additional info and not a recommemdation tonuse low or mid saps oil in a 1.4 petrol engine.

Many C3 oils have Saps of around 0.8

My Jag needs low saps and also a fuel economy oil so the specced oil is C1.

Anything below 1.0 is low saps in my book.

Call it mid saps if you prefer.

What was actually added to the thread by your comment?

The mention of the saps level was additional info and not a recommemdation tonuse low or mid saps oil in a 1.4 petrol engine.

Mid-SAPS are also acceptable for cars that are requiring High-SAPS oils. Low-SAPS in many cases are not.
For example for VW, MID-SAPS also meet VW502.00, while Low-SAPS do not.
Just wanted to say, it does not make difference since it is Mid-SAPS (Low-SAPS where sulfated ash is up to 0.6).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back