1996 F150 5 speed fluid recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
1996 F150 4.9, 5 speed. Owners manual recommends "mercon" without really specifiying I, II, III, ect. I know the earlier versions of mercon were heavier.

Im thinking Mobil 1 ATF would give the best protection and shift qualities. But I'd like somw input, especially from those with this transmission. Vehicle has 155,000 miles and I have no idea on the previous owners maintenance history.

It's a manual transmission - so it just needs some sort of lubrication. Kind of like chain driven transfer cases. As long as it's full of something that is a true ATF (and not some sort of dollar store special with coolant mixed in), it will be happy.

M5OD in those is a pretty [censored] transmission, though.

I've had 2 of those and always just used Super Tech Dex/Merc. I don't think an expensive synthetic would really give any better performance in that application.

My truck has a lot of miles on it and I always just used whatever ATF was around. Last change I used pennzoil syncromesh and I think it shifts a little better than with ATF. I've had that in for around 20k. On a side note if you haven't done this yet you need to buy a kit like this..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BJ4EF0C/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I put one in my truck the other day and its shifting like a totally different vehicle. People love to hate on the M5OD, but mine has always given me good service.

Originally Posted By: Clubber_Lang
I like the idea of mobil 1 atf for its synthetc extended drain properties as well

My Ranger didn't take well to M1 after 20K. I dumped it for Chevron (or now Havoline) MD3 and haven't had any issues with it. YMMV.

I picked up some Valvoline maxlife ATF full synthetic, it was a couple bucks more than the supertech ATF

My 1989 F-150 with that tranny shifted just fine on the factory Mercon when I sold it at 120,000 miles. My 2002 F-150 with the same tranny hated ATF from day one, especially in the summer. I swapped out the factory mercon for Schaeffer's 204 Dex/Mer. It was better but still not good. Went to Royal Purple's Syncromax manual tranny fluid and the shifting quality really improved!

Whimsey

Yes. If it was specifically designed for gear oil.

A lot of people blew up the early chain driven transfer cases by running gear oil in them and they couldn't lubricate.

I think any of these fluids might be more appropriate for a tranny speced for ATF:

Quote:

B. The next higher viscosity MTL would be the 7.5 cSt versions (About the same viscosity as a DexronIII)

1. Royal Purple's Synchromax

2. Ravenol MTF-2

3. Honda MTF

4. VW part number G052512A2

5. GM Manual Transmission and Transfer Case Fluid

6. BMW (Pentosin MTF 2) MTF-LT-1, 2

C. The next higher viscosity MTL would be Castrol Syntrans V FE 75W-80 8.0cSt

D. The next higher viscosity MTL would be BG Synchroshift II 8.2 cSt

E. The next higher viscosity is Mopar Type MS-9417 MTL 9.0cSt

F. Valvoline MTF Part Number 811095 9.2 cSt

G. The next higher viscosity MTL would be Pennzoil Synchromesh 9.3 cSt

MT and MTF Technology