Impala got an OC, M1 0W30/AAP Syn 5W30 Mix & PF61

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Impala got an OC today. Out went Mobil 1 0W-30 and a Bosch Distance+ D3423.

The oil level on this car is always right where I leave it after an OC. This engine uses NO oil. Good solid engine right here.

In went 2qts of M1 0W-30 and 2.5-3qts of AAP Full Syn Dexos 5W-30. Slapped a PF61 (Champ classic, not E-Core) on there.

When I went to get the filter, the AAP computer kept saying it took a PF52, along with their website. I got home and found out it's the wrong one. Went back and got a PF61. It looks as if on their website/computer, they have the vehicle fitments mixed up between the PF52 and PF61.

Also put new brake pads on the Impala. Went with Wearever Platinum.

Going to Norwalk, Ohio this 4th of July weekend for the NHRA drags. Impala is going to the Dealer Monday evening for the axle and they said it should be done late Tuesday or Wednesday morning. Hoping all will be well with it as we're planning on taking it to Ohio.

I have no confidence in having a dealer fix anything correctly right before leaving on a trip.

I think you're foolish to even try it. But, good luck! Hope you have a AAA card handy.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I have no confidence in having a dealer fix anything correctly right before leaving on a trip.

I think you're foolish to even try it. But, good luck! Hope you have a AAA card handy.

Thanks for the well wishes before our trip.

The power of positive thinking.......and then not so much......

I hope your trip goes well. I must say cars are a pain and getting work done right is not a given. Just keep an eye on things.
Originally Posted By: redhat
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Thanks for the well wishes before our trip.

I had two quarts of M1 0W-30 left over from previous oil changes. I needed three more quarts.

Convenience played a big factor in the decision of buying some oil. Yesterday was really my only window of opportunity to change the oil in the Impala before our trip... and it was due. Also, it just so happened that yesterday, it was very spotty rain and I was able to do all of this work in a no-rain window. About 15 minutes after I was finished, it started to pour.

I went to AAP as it was the closest to me. The Walmart near me would've been about 10 minutes farther, about 5 minutes in the store - walking to the oil isle and back to a register (it's a huge store), (and ONLY if I'm lucky) get cashed out in 5 minutes, then 10 minutes back to my original location. That's an extra half hour wasted
shocked.gif
-- probably would've gotten soaked.

I bought the AAP Full Syn 5W-30 as (1) it was a full syn 5W-30, (2) it was the cheapest full syn 5W-30, (3) I only had a $20 and a few bucks on me, and an added bonus of (4) it carries the Dexos approval. Plus, we all know how much M1 will cost at an auto parts store. You might as well walk in backwards with your pants down.

I have no doubt on it's quality and think it will do just fine.

Yeah I probably paid more (than going to Walmart), but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back