engine heats up a little in outside high temp

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2004 Chevy Express 3500. When the temperature outside gets to 90 or higher, the engine heats up a little while running the A/C. Sometimes it might get to one mark above 210 on the gauge and will drop after driving 2 to 5 miles. I had to replace the water pump about 3 years ago and flushed out last year. When not running the A/C not a problem with the heating up. Is this normal running the A/C during the hot weather? The van has 205K miles. Any comments.

With 205K, I imagine the fan clutch has seen better days. Does your van run hotter than it use to while idling in traffic at such temps?

Something is a little off there. 210 is in the high normal range. I'm assuming that you're saying that when on the move the temperature will drop, but when you're idling that it will go up. One suggestion: I know my 2004 Silverado had a mechanical, belt driven fan with fan clutch. It's possible that the fan clutch is starting to go and not spinning the fan FAST ENOUGH at idle. It might be spinning it some, but not fast enough to meet spec. That might be worth looking into (all of that is out the window if your Express has electric fans). Also, it might be worth taking a garden hose, opening the hood, and spraying the radiator off from the inside out to get rid of bugs and debris. You'll be really surprise how much junk comes out of there, even if it doesn't look like a lot. These are some simple steps, but sometimes they are the ones that do it. I will say that my 2004, even in perfect running order, heated up running the A/C in Winslow AZ while sitting still at a post office. It was about 105 or so at the time.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
With 205K, I imagine the fan clutch has seen better days. Does your van run hotter than it use to while idling in traffic at such temps?

Looks like we were thinking the same thing at the same time. Good minds...

Yes, it does heat up some while idling in traffic. I did have the fan clutch replaced about 4 years ago. I would think they would last longer 4 years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: peh43
Yes, it does heat up some while idling in traffic. I did have the fan clutch replaced about 4 years ago. I would think they would last longer 4 years.
Not if it was an aftermarket. The dealer one...Maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back