Looking for a starter bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, so I am looking to buy my first bike, and want to know some good recommendations. I prefer used, under $2,500, and something that will be a good learner bike. I have been told a bunch to start used, learn the basics and get comfortable and then buy a new bigger bike if I still like riding. So any used motorcycle suggestions? Don't have a particular preference on either cruiser or sport..

Baltimore. I found one, but the owner won't allow test rides. So it seems fishy to me.

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
Baltimore. I found one, but the owner won't allow test rides. So it seems fishy to me.

I would not consider that fishy, in fact it is probably the norm where motorcycles are concerned.

For a cruiser I would recommend the Vstar/Virago 250, then the Suzuki GZ250, and finally the Honda Rebel

For a sportsbike type the Ninja 250.

If you feel you can handle more you can look at the Ninja 500 or Vulcan 500 from Kawasaki or the GS500E/F or Savage 650/S40 from Suzuki.

All of those 250 and 500cc(The Suzuki 650 has about the power of a 500) machines should be available in your price range. All were well designed and produced for many years.

Last edited:
If possible, I would try to bump your budget up to 3000-3500 and get a used SV650 or Ninja 650.

Both are good, reliable bikes. More power than a 250, but nothing too crazy for a beginner - plenty to hold you over for a while if you decide you like riding.

93-94 CB Seven Fifty. I always had a big bike but for around town i bought one of these in 94 new and still own and ride it.
Small, light, not a lot of power but enough 75 HP, no surprise power band. The engine is great air/oil cooled, hydraulic lash adjuster that have been trouble free for 20 years make maintenance a breeze.

You can throw this thing around like a bicycle. The longest trip i ever took on it was to Switzerland about 250Km and it was no trouble.
In the mountains it was fantastic, no work at all like on a big bike.

After 20 years this past April i can honestly say this is one good friggin Motorcycle.
Plugs, air filter, fluids, brake pads, a few chains, batteries and tires otherwise nothing ever broke on this bike.

This is not just a great starter bike, you can live with this bike as long as you want.

Edit: Mine is the same as the one on the bottom. US spec is 73 hp German is 74-75 depending on what you read, its rated at 55 KW at 8500.

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Honda/honda_cb750f2_seven_fifty 92.htm

No one should expect someone to buy a bike without first a test ride. It is common practice to let someone ride it with the money already in hand.

I am 5' 8'', 165lbs. Really just looking for anything now to get comfortable on. Then when I buy new, I will be picky and get a sport bike preferably.

Okay, cool. About how many miles should a decent sport bike last until you start having mechanical problems? I know it is a general question, but in your experience about how many miles on average.

You'll be well served to buy any Japanese bike in your budget. Assuming you don't damage it, you could ride it for a year and sell it for what you paid.

No one should expect someone to buy a bike without first a test ride. It is common practice to let someone ride it with the money already in hand.

If you truly hand over the cash, I don't see why anyone would object to a test ride. It's the "no money" test ride that people object to since they don't know how experienced of a rider you are.

As far as which bike to get, Robenstein gave you some great suggestions above. I started out on a Suzuki GZ250, then quickly moved up to a Vulcan 500.

Have you done the MSF course yet?

I don't know that its common practice but yes some sort of a "15 minute return period" or something can sometimes be worked out.

I'd consider it only after meeting the person and would tell someone who called and asked about "test rides" absolutely not, too many issues with insurance and so forth, particularly on a "starter bike".

I am 5' 8'', 165lbs. Really just looking for anything now to get comfortable on. Then when I buy new, I will be picky and get a sport bike preferably.

Rebel is too small for you.

Ninja 250 and EX/Ninja 500 would be good choices, CB750/Nighthawk also good choices.

You're likely to run up on a lot of junk in that price range, I'd advise you to be very knowledgable about what to look for in a used bike, lest a lemon sour your taste for riding. I actually think the advice to buy a used bike is horrible advice, but thats obviously my opinion...

Oh and If you have not taken the MSF/Riders edge course, do that first.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
You're likely to run up on a lot of junk in that price range, I'd advise you to be very knowledgable about what to look for in a used bike, lest a lemon sour your taste for riding. I actually think the advice to buy a used bike is horrible advice, but thats obviously my opinion...

So, should he buy a brand new bike and lose a ton of money when he trades it in within a year when he's ready to upgrade? Chances are, he'll drop it, too, further reducing the new bike's value.

If he is not mechanically inclined, to avoid a risk of getting a lemon, he can consider buying a used bike from a bike dealer - this way he'll get 30 days of warranty typically or if it's a lemon, he can bring it back.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

So, should he buy a brand new bike and lose a ton of money when he trades it in within a year when he's ready to upgrade? Chances are, he'll drop it, too, further reducing the new bike's value.

Theres many things he could do, But buying a ragged cheap bike is not like buying a beater car. If he's ill equipped to check it out properly or have it checked out then yes he should buy a new bike and consider the value reduction whatever that might be and from whatever cause the price of the education.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
If he is not mechanically inclined, to avoid a risk of getting a lemon, he can consider buying a used bike from a bike dealer - this way he'll get 30 days of warranty typically or if it's a lemon, he can bring it back.

Or he might take a trusted friend who is bike mechanically inclined along to help reduce the risk and also increase his budget... I don't think the market is saturated with $2500.00 / Warranty / Return policy bikes.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: jgm038
If possible, I would try to bump your budget up to 3000-3500 and get a used SV650 or Ninja 650.

Both are good, reliable bikes. More power than a 250, but nothing too crazy for a beginner - plenty to hold you over for a while if you decide you like riding.

Agreed... SUZUKI SV 650 ... decent power... adequate handling, good looks, been made for the last 10 years or so, so lots around.... v twin sounds AWESOME with a mild exhaust upgrade, and where I live, insurance is WAY! cheaper than any NINJA anything.

And, many have started with the SV 650... and never left. There is a sport bike type version, as well as a " naked " version, with a more upright riding position.

There used to be a SV 1000 as well, a glorious wheely machine if there ever was one... BIG TORQUE...!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back