Mobil 1-0w-20 AFE SM-6289 Mi-2008 Tacoma 2.7L i-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hermann

Site Donor 2023
This is a tale of same oil, different driving conditions.

The oldest UOA was done while under warranty and the average trip was 25-30 miles. And was in about 6 months.

The newer UOA was for a full year of driving, 6289 miles. About 50% infrequent interstate driving but for long distances. The other 50% was almost all 3.5 mi trips back and forth to work. There was probably 500 or so of these trips. Even when I run errands every thing is within 4 to 5 miles. Coolant had a drain & fill and a pressure test at the Toyota dealer during this OCI, which may account for the high sodium and potassium . The coolant level has not dropped since the drain and fill was done. LINK BELOW
=140680932&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0]

Moderator, please feel free to attach my image to the post, because I cant figure it out.
Thanks

Inserted picture for you.

wixUOA_zpscd59d281.jpg

Wear metals look OK. Another UOA should help determine if there is a trend in sodium/potassium.

Are you buying/changing the oil yourself? Reason I ask is I've never seen any recent Mobil 1 0W-20 UOA with no magnesium and 2300 ppm of calcium (usually around 1000 ppm). Doesn't look like Mobil 1 0W-20 to me.

Originally Posted By: gonefishing

wixUOA_zpscd59d281.jpg

Wear metals look OK. Another UOA should help determine if there is a trend in sodium/potassium.

Are you buying/changing the oil yourself? Reason I ask is I've never seen any recent Mobil 1 0W-20 UOA with no magnesium and 2300 ppm of calcium (usually around 1000 ppm). Doesn't look like Mobil 1 0W-20 to me.

Its M1 AFE SM, not the newer SN. Thats why the add pack looks different.

Originally Posted By: gonefishing

wixUOA_zpscd59d281.jpg

Its M1 AFE SM, not the newer SN. Thats why the add pack looks different.

Quote:

Yes, I do my own oil changes. The Mobil 1 was all purchased at the same time, and all had the same packaging date. It was individual quarts.

The main reason I posted this was to show the difference of results, with the difference in operating parameters. With this info in hand, my oil will only go 6 months with conventionals, which I have several fills of. Even have to think hard about running synthetics for a full 12 months again. Seems like it held up well though, for the number of short cycles it was subjected to.

After what I just put in, and the one change of Valvoline WB that I have for this winter. Then its back to synthetics for 4 changes.

Ok !im wondering ,(yes again)since some believe that magnesium become magnesium oxide (ash of magnesium)i was like ,does this mean our engine is creating potash in our engine(potassium)and as we know potassium is arch nemesis of water .and we use ethanol (a water loving ingredient in oil .i was like .are those oil helping longevity or hugely shortening it?

Transmutation of elements is not a feature of any engine.

Neither is the reduction of a stable oxide into the base element.

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
Ok !im wondering ,(yes again)since some believe that magnesium become magnesium oxide (ash of magnesium)i was like ,does this mean our engine is creating potash in our engine(potassium)and as we know potassium is arch nemesis of water .and we use ethanol (a water loving ingredient in oil .i was like .are those oil helping longevity or hugely shortening it?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Transmutation of elements is not a feature of any engine.

I was thinking that's what he was saying, too, but I may have figured it out. When I realized he wasn't stating that nuclear reactions happen in engines, I think he meant that perhaps potassium from coolant does "something," akin to the concern about magnesium detergent packages leaving abrasive residue.

Note, that's my translation. I'm not worried about either. If there's coolant intrusion, I'm not terribly worried about the potassium itself. And there's not much I can do about magnesium, either, so worry won't help.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back