Blackstone, diesel UOA, and soot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used Blackstone for UOA on a race car for years, but now I want to do a UOA on my Ram Ecodiesel. My understanding is that I need to be aware of soot (ash?) levels in the UOA to judge when the oil is done. Blackstone doesn't seem to provide a # for soot in their analysis, so maybe I need to use a different lab?

Altho I can read a UOA it's kind of from a race car perspective so I'm really just looking at metals and dilution. I don't have any experience judging when an high mileage oil is "done" because race cars have frequent oil changes.

Guidance on reading a UOA for a low SAPS engine? I searched around but the threads re. reading a UOA are generic. Maybe that means there's nothing unique about reading a low SAPS UOA?

Last edited:
Might want to look on the cummins website they might be able to help with a few pointers between you and blackstone.cummins engine are awsome if most of the time a bit feisty!also you are likely to have issue in ga ,there arent many place that sell 0% bio diesel .if you can find a 0% bio diesel place and fuel there.basicly bio diesel is good but in 1% quantity .so check you r fuel tank size grab a fuel canister with 20% biodiesel fuel 5 gallon means you ll have 1 gallon of bio so 1% make about 100 gallon so you should be good for 3 fill of 0% bio with a 5 gallon jug .and no you cant run oil non bio .as that will also give trouble (ultra low sulfur diesel)

I would go with Polaris. I think Blackstone is fine for car enthusiasts but Polaris is better for commercial and industrial (and normal cars). They are cheaper if you buy a 10 pack which I do.

You are looking for fuel, soot and iron (mainly) to tell you when oil is finished and needs to be changed. Cummins has charts of contamination levels and when to change the oil.

Originally Posted By: Donald
You are looking for fuel, soot and iron (mainly) to tell you when oil is finished and needs to be changed. Cummins has charts of contamination levels and when to change the oil.

I'm surprised to hear you say the iron is an important measure of when to change the oil. Seems like once I'm getting iron because of oil quality, I should have already changed my oil. I would have thought dilution, particulates, visc, and TBN. Since you didn't mention TBN, maybe it's not such a good measure of oil life in diesel engines?

Not a Cummins engine, this is the Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. I figure the Cummins chart still ought to be a pretty good source of info tho.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RangerGress
Originally Posted By: Donald

I'm surprised to hear you say the iron is an important measure of when to change the oil. Seems like once I'm getting iron because of oil quality, I should have already changed my oil. I would have thought dilution, particulates, visc, and TBN. Since you didn't mention TBN, maybe it's not such a good measure of oil life in diesel engines?

Not a Cummins engine, this is the Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. I figure the Cummins chart still ought to be a pretty good source of info tho.

Since the Ecodiesel is new to the market, short answer would be to watch everything in the UOA.

Only a few engine manufacturers provide contaminate condemnation levels, such as Cummins... I would just keep those number in the back of you head since its easy for us on BITOG to freak out of a few PPM.

Out of curiosity what oil specs does this engine call for?

Can't wait to see your UOAs.

Originally Posted By: Texan4Life

Out of curiosity what oil specs does this engine call for?

It's some low SAPS Euro oil spec that's going to make for $200 oil changes (10.5qts). I'd like to use UOA to set oil change interval instead of the generic 10k mile OEM recommendation.

Chrysler MS-11106. M1 ESP 5W30 is one oil that apparently meets the standard.

Last edited:
8 Quarts for an EcoDiesel, 10k Miles is the manufacture spec if you use non bio fuel. Otherwise 8k miles oil change interval if using B6-B20, which every pump i've seen in the midwest says its maximum B20.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back