Starter issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2007 Kia Spectra EX. Over the last 6 months sometimes it takes a minute to start. The car cranks slowly but finally starts. It has a new battery that was replaced at AAP. I took it to AAP and had the battery, starter, and alternator checked. All checked out okay except the starter. Starter amp draw is low with ok starter voltage. AMPS was 23.5A and voltage was 11.36V. So does this mean I need to replace the starter?

Could just be corrosion on a connection or the contacts in the starter are burnt,corroded, worn out.
Originally Posted By: GutsyGecko
Looks like the starter itself or a wiring gremlin.

I am not sure I believe the current draw and voltage drop for the starter. That sounds like about what the solenoid by itself would draw. The starter should draw over 100 amps, more like 200 amps.

Do you have a local starter rebuild shop? They are getting hard to find.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I am not sure I believe the current draw and voltage drop for the starter. That sounds like about what the solenoid by itself would draw. The starter should draw over 100 amps, more like 200 amps.

Do you have a local starter rebuild shop? They are getting hard to find.

Not with modern permanent magnet, gear reduction starters.

I agree that amp draw is low. It should be 50-60 amps, but not 100-200. The old starters on your typical V8 would have drawn that kind of current though.

OP, I'd be inclined to believe you starter is toast. Typically when connections are bad, amperage draw goes UP, with an increase in voltage drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back