Firestone Car Care-Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had my new front struts and rear shocks installed on my 06 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 133,400 miles.The shop installed the struts but with new springs instead of just the struts only.They are Monroe.You can get just struts or from Monroe a strut/spring complete unit.My question is how does Firestone rate as far as car care?Do they do good work and are they know for selling you stuff you don't need?Thanks Joe

Originally Posted By: Chris142
each one is independantly owned so it depends on the owner and how much the service writer pushes

For years, I trusted a local one here, because I knew the manager. He was very straightforward and honest. Unfortunately, he's not there any more, so I haven't been back. As Chris142 indicates, it may be kind of a [censored].

Like Chris said, they are independently owned. I did not have good experiences with the Firestone near me. Charged me for valve stems when I bought tires, even though the TPMS wheels don't have rubber valve stems. Got them to agree to change the valve core if they were going to charge me valve stem fees. Of course they played the upsell game and tried to tell me "Honda recommends replacing the air filter every 15,000". Um, no, they don't. When I got the car back, all my valve cores still had the paint marks I put on them. Went back in, and they admitted they didn't change them, but offered a free oil change. No dice. Finally got them to reimburse the valve stem fees. Got a call from the district manager after I filled out my customer survey, and he maintained that they go through extensive training on the TPMS. When I asked why, if they have been "extensively trained" on the TPMS, are they charging people for valve stems, knowing there are no valve stems? No answer.

Months later, I went to rotate my tires and found the jerk who put them on made the lugs so tight I had to use my impact wrench.

Not going back there.

In my area they are ok. There at two local stores and one is better than the other. Either are miles ahead of the local Sears auto. Last work Sears did for me was on a tire rotation on the wife's car. Out of 20 lug nuts (5 per wheel) they managed to cross thread and ruin 5 lugs, 3 on one wheel alone. I always take a torque wrench to check behind shop work whenever I let someone touch the tires/wheels on my vehicles, but that day I forgot it. Flash forward three weeks and I decided to check the torque on the wheels. The screwed up lugs wouldn't tighten or loosen. As I've already said 5 ruined lugs, 3 on one wheel. We'd been driving around with only two properly tightened lug nuts on one wheel for three weeks. No more Sears auto for our family. Sears did fix it, but didn't even get an, "I'm sorry."

I am thinking they sold you the struts w/springs because they were worried about changing the springs from the old struts to the new ones. For some reason, many mechanics are afraid of coil springs. Lots of stored energy, yes.......but there is a lot more in a gas tank. I just do them myself, like everything else.

Originally Posted By: sopususer
In my area they are ok. There at two local stores and one is better than the other. Either are miles ahead of the local Sears auto. Last work Sears did for me was on a tire rotation on the wife's car. Out of 20 lug nuts (5 per wheel) they managed to cross thread and ruin 5 lugs, 3 on one wheel alone. I always take a torque wrench to check behind shop work whenever I let someone touch the tires/wheels on my vehicles, but that day I forgot it. Flash forward three weeks and I decided to check the torque on the wheels. The screwed up lugs wouldn't tighten or loosen. As I've already said 5 ruined lugs, 3 on one wheel. We'd been driving around with only two properly tightened lug nuts on one wheel for three weeks. No more Sears auto for our family. Sears did fix it, but didn't even get an, "I'm sorry."

I quit Sears many years ago, when I recommended that a woman friend get her battery replaced there. A week later, car would not start, and when I pulled the cover (VW Vanagon) I found the original battery. No apology then either. Apparently, the employee installed the battery in his friend's car. Not been back, since

I do not think they are better or worse than other similar chains.

Replacing the strut with an assembly should have saved you labor at the expense of additional parts. They did not need to compress the spring and pull off the strut.

The one near me is pretty good. They are open on Sundays and till 7 on weeknights, which helps. As noted, it varies from one shop to the next.

They tried to upsell me just once: Claimed I needed new wheel bearings, which simply was not true. I gave them the "I may not look like it with these soft white-collar hands, but I'm a BITOG-er, by golly" look. They've not tried it since.

Now that my favorite indie mechanic is on possibly permanent medical leave, I would make the local Firestone my go-to shop for most things I can't do myself---if their prices were always competitive. Some are, some are not.

It's a great place to have tires installed or repaired; the Kendall oil-change deals with a coupon are great; state inspections are reasonable and fair. They replaced a good section of brake line after it blew on my Saturn, for less than I expected. (Though still more than a good local shop would have, likely.)

On other things their prices are almost silly. There are coupons that help, and the store manager has discretion to use "virtual coupons" that may have expired/not yet taken effect. (Can't hurt to suggest that, when they quote you.) Even with that, some things there are just too much $$$.

So I say try it once, if you get a competitive quote. See how it goes. Good luck.

It takes a real idiot to cross thread lug nuts. He probably put the lug nut in the air impact wrench socket first and didn't get the threads properly engaged. I wouldn't let any of the chains work on my wheelbarrow. It has one moving part and that is way too much for the derelicts who work for those places. The only requirement for employment there is that you must be breathing and have no mechanical aptitude whatsoever.Have your vehicle repair done at shops that employ ASE certified mechanics. Nothing is perfect, but those shops don't make such egregious mistakes very often.

On my recent purchase of a set of Destination LE2's, it took 3 tries after the initial install to solve a balance problem. They had to be "road force" balanced. On the visit that finally solved the problem, there was a new manager there.

It was refreshing to have an auto service manager listen to you, without blaming you for the problem, then offering a solution that solved the problem. Smooth as a baby's bottom now up to 80 MPH. That's fast enough for me.

Independently owned, but all have the corporate talk track. My last 3 experiences with FStone have been ridiculously bad. A botched brake job on my company ride, a call for ball joints when they were not needed, and my latest, 2.5 year old, 10000 mile old Stone TransForce 10 plies were dry rotted, and the sidewalls were cracking. One to the point of beginning to separate tread from core. The manager at first refused any type of pro-rate until I showed him Stones warranty on the website on my phone. Then he would not measure the tires to determine the correct pro-rate, he only wanted to sell a full set at a slight discount. Calls to corporate, as well as a letter have gone unanswered. I rolled to NTB and got new Yoko's for 20.00 less than the discounted Stone price. These actions have turned me off of Firestone.

Last edited:
Went with a friend to the one by me once, thought the parts and labor rates were ok but they try to make up for it with upselling and high shop supply fees. I prefer independents over chains.

Originally Posted By: Stelth
Originally Posted By: Chris142
each one is independantly owned so it depends on the owner and how much the service writer pushes

For years, I trusted a local one here, because I knew the manager. He was very straightforward and honest. Unfortunately, he's not there any more, so I haven't been back. As Chris142 indicates, it may be kind of a [censored].

Had a similar experience, long time customer at an indy Honda/Toyota shop. They always gave two or three options for any problem, as in use Honda parts, or use aftermarket, or try and find used... great front end guy, good work, good prices... then owner retired and sold shop...

New owner comes across as having ONLY $$$ in his eyes... he wanted $ 100 just to look small issue, I offered to show him issue for free...! He declined, and I have never gone back...

More and more people I know are simply leasing for 3 years, eating the depreciation, but never having to worry about any ridiculously priced maintenance or repairs or tires etc. Local shop rates are now near $ 150 PER HOUR...!

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
It takes a real idiot to cross thread lug nuts. He probably put the lug nut in the air impact wrench socket first and didn't get the threads properly engaged. I wouldn't let any of the chains work on my wheelbarrow. It has one moving part and that is way too much for the derelicts who work for those places. The only requirement for employment there is that you must be breathing and have no mechanical aptitude whatsoever.Have your vehicle repair done at shops that employ ASE certified mechanics. Nothing is perfect, but those shops don't make such egregious mistakes very often.

Totally agree. Yeah, I recall the guy who worked on the car looked like he really didn't want to be there that day. I haven't had a shop do a tire rotation since; I wouldn't have let them do it then but the tires were from Sears and it was for warranty purposes. It's amazing but I since haven't had any "difficulty" myself tightening lug nuts properly. Start by hand, run up tight and hand torque with my torque wrench to spec. No one will take care of your vehicle (or wheelbarrow
grin.gif
) like you do.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje

Totally agree. Yeah, I recall the guy who worked on the car looked like he really didn't want to be there that day. I haven't had a shop do a tire rotation since; I wouldn't have let them do it then but the tires were from Sears and it was for warranty purposes. It's amazing but I since haven't had any "difficulty" myself tightening lug nuts properly. Start by hand, run up tight and hand torque with my torque wrench to spec. No one will take care of your vehicle (or wheelbarrow
grin.gif
) like you do.
My forty some year old Sears wheelbarrow tire finally died from dry rot so I bought one from Menards and put it on myself. Guess what? The tire made in China had a bump in it and it goes thump,thump thump going down the sidewalk. Went back to Menards to look at the other wheelbarrow tires and they all had a bump.. Can't even make a round wheelbarrow tire. So now it's thump,thump thump down the sidewalk. As Sheriff Bart said, "I hate it."

It doesn't take an idiot.
It just takes a guy trying to earn a living and having to turn tickets as fast as he can when the shop is busy.
You want great work and service out of any shop?
Just ask them when they aren't busy.
Bring your car in during the slack periods that most shops have and you'll get much better work.
The techs will take their time and really gold-plate the job just to have something to do when there isn't enough traffic to keep them busy.
You just have to know the system well enough to game it.

I have nothing good to say about Firestone Car Care. Countless horror stories from family and friends.

Dad had his truck at FS about a tire problem. They called me (Dad wanted me to talk to them). They said the oil needed changing immediately.
I asked why.
Because it's overdue.
What makes you say that?
The oil change sticker shows it hasn't been changed in over 50,000 miles.
Really? You didn't even look at the oil, did you?
No.
I changed the oil last weekend. Do you still think it needs to be changed immediately?
Uh...no, I guess not.

Around here they are all rip-off joints. Find an independent shop. You will be better off.

It would appear that the negative opinions outweigh the good ones. I dare say that would be true of any national chain Find a good independent or go to a dealer (which can also be a nightmare)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back