97 Impreza

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just paid 500 dollars for a 97 Impreza AWD with the 1.6 L Boxer engine. Motor has 155,000 on the clock. It sounds good with no blow by from the oil fill. Body is a bit rough with dents and dings from 17 years of use New rotors and timing belt. For the money I think it will make a heck of a work car. It drove well. Since it is my first Subaru, what is the skinny on the engine and what should I look for to make the car last a few years. Thanks

Were there '97 1.6s, even FWD only?
Are you sure it's not a 1.8 or a 2.2?
Anyway, these older smaller displacement Subarus were pretty solid.
We had a '97 2.2 AWD and currently have a '99 2.2 AWD Legacy wagon.
Other than traditional Subaru oil leaks, the engine should be just fine.
Between possible leaks and consumtion, keep an eye on the oil level until you find out how much you typically need to add.
You might want to replace the PCV valve.
Was the water pump also replaced when the timing belt was done, as well as the tensioners?
Obviously give the engine reasonable oil changes, change the front and rear diff gear lube and do something about the tranny fluid, although you don't say whether it's an automatic or a real gearbox.
The coolant should be okay with the timing belt change.
If you feel really adventerous, flush the brake fluid and do at least a turkey baster flush of the PS fluid.
These are solid old cars, as good as anything from Honda or Toyota, and the smaller displacement flat fours do sound good, unlike the 2.5 in our Forester.

Thanks for the reply. The engine probably is of higher displacement. I was going by what the previous owner told me. It is a automatic tranny. He could not remember the last time it was serviced so it will need changed. I plan on changing the front and rear diffy fluids with 80- 90. Probably nothing fancy leaning toward a house brand gear oil.

Idle air control valve tends to get gunked up on old subarus.

Also next time your under the hood, lube your hood release latch.

Even beat up some, you got a good deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back