saturn high idle

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 02 sl is a manual trans and tonight all the way to where I was going at a stop it would Odle around 1500rpm. Shutting off and restarting did cure it temporarily. But it came back then 35 more miles of driving and didn't do it once . Acts perfect again. I know usually it would be a tps but I did replace it about 4 months ago. No cel or anything like that

Sounds like a vacuum leak.. did you disconnect the battery or clean/replace any parts before taking it out?

If I disconnect the battery or clean any parts like an IAC or EGR on mine the idle will act funny for a while then finally settle down. These cars take a while to relearn their base idle after something is changed.

If no parts have been cleaned/replaced, and battery has not been disconnected.. I'd grab some brake cleaner or similar product.. and with a COLD engine I'd spray around all gaskets on the intake system, with the engine running.

Pay close attention to the intake gasket and throttle body gasket. On mine.. my throttle body cracked creating a vacuum leak.. but that does not seem like a common issue.

If you cannot find a vacuum leak, I'd be looking at the IAC and EGR as possibly being bad/stuck.. but that would likely throw a CEL

Last edited:
There are some claims that the aftermarket TPS sensors are hit and miss. I replaced my TPS, and a month later I had to replace it again, no issues since then.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
My 02 sl is a manual trans and tonight all the way to where I was going at a stop it would Odle around 1500rpm. Shutting off and restarting did cure it temporarily. But it came back then 35 more miles of driving and didn't do it once . Acts perfect again. I know usually it would be a tps but I did replace it about 4 months ago. No cel or anything like that

IAC valve, for starters. And clean the throttle body. Check for exhaust leaks. There is tons of info on high idle at saturnfans.

When I got my SL1 auto, the idle would spike now and then at startup or at stoplights. Also it had the shakes, a bit. Here is what I did or had done:

clean throttle body
tps sensor
iac valve
ects
thermostat
Motor mount (OE solid mount 21012185)
flex pipe---repair exhaust leak
air filter
spark plugs: ngk copper/nickel, BKR4ESA-11

Now all is smooth and well....good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back