2000 Saturn SL2 Buring Oil, a Cheap$ Fix ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow doug you must have a whole boat load of cash to suggest a car isn't worth repairing.. its sure as heck. Lot cheaper to repair a car you already own than to go out andbuy a new one..

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: umungus1122
Have you tried a piston soak with MMO or Kreen?
Saturn piston soak

I have tried those in the past with b-12 and mmo, they won't work.

They might not have worked in the particular instance when you tried.them but thats not to say they wont work. Many on here including myself have had great results unsticking rings with a piston soak. Some use MMO, others prefer berrymans, diesel, brake cleaner or other strong chemicals..
More compression and less consumption can only be a good thing, and for the low cost and ease of trying its really stupid not to.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Originally Posted By: umungus1122
Have you tried a piston soak with MMO or Kreen?
Saturn piston soak

I have tried those in the past with b-12 and mmo, they won't work.

They might not have worked in the particular instance when you tried.them but thats not to say they wont work. Many on here including myself have had great results unsticking rings with a piston soak. Some use MMO, others prefer berrymans, diesel, brake cleaner or other strong chemicals..
More compression and less consumption can only be a good thing, and for the low cost and ease of trying its really stupid not to.

These cars have a very specific, well documented, issue responsible for their oil burning. Conventional wisdom is lost on them. The issue was fixed in the 02 model year IIRC. This guy has it right:

Its low tension rings for fuel economy. Some also say its in part to not enough drainback holes in the piston , coking the ring lands. If you have a saturn not burning oil like my '02 id use pennzoil ultra. If its already burning oil, then a high mileage 30 wt. 10w 30 in summer and 5w 30 hm in winter. If it really starts going through it, then the 15w 40 summer.

--Matt

Originally Posted By: mkosem
These cars have a very specific, well documented, issue responsible for their oil burning. Conventional wisdom is lost on them. The issue was fixed in the 02 model year IIRC. This guy has it right:

Its low tension rings for fuel economy. Some also say its in part to not enough drainback holes in the piston , coking the ring lands. If you have a saturn not burning oil like my '02 id use pennzoil ultra. If its already burning oil, then a high mileage 30 wt. 10w 30 in summer and 5w 30 hm in winter. If it really starts going through it, then the 15w 40 summer.

--Matt

Correct that piston ring design causes the Saturn oil consumption.

The first thing I would do is change the PCV valve and then determine just how much oil you're burning--how many miles per quart. (Also make sure to fix any possible leaks.) If that's reasonable, like maybe 1000 miles/qt or more, try a synthetic known for cleaning.

If the oil consumption is more extreme, synthetic is going to get expensive. In that case, use the cheapest dino you can find and keep it topped up.

I married into a '94 that was using a quart in 500 miles. It progressed to one quart per 200 miles. It drank 15-40 as readily as 10-30. I used Restore, Auto Rx, MMO, Seafoam smokeouts, and piston soaks with no improvement. (Who knows--maybe all that stuff even accelerated the consumption. It sure cost more time and money than cheap dino.)

I finally settled on the "cheapest dino 10W-30 available" program. At one time, that meant 49 cent Chevron from Kragen. Those were the days for a Saturn driver! Most recently before I got rid of the car, Pepboys had a $1/quart Peak deal.

I bought a bunch of the nextgen high mileage when it was $5.00 for 5 quarts. I cleaned a few shelves of it i have around 40-50 quarts of it for the 01 saturn.

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
Originally Posted By: mkosem

--Matt

Correct that piston ring design causes the Saturn oil consumption.

The first thing I would do is change the PCV valve and then determine just how much oil you're burning--how many miles per quart. (Also make sure to fix any possible leaks.) If that's reasonable, like maybe 1000 miles/qt or more, try a synthetic known for cleaning.

If the oil consumption is more extreme, synthetic is going to get expensive. In that case, use the cheapest dino you can find and keep it topped up.

I married into a '94 that was using a quart in 500 miles. It progressed to one quart per 200 miles. It drank 15-40 as readily as 10-30. I used Restore, Auto Rx, MMO, Seafoam smokeouts, and piston soaks with no improvement. (Who knows--maybe all that stuff even accelerated the consumption. It sure cost more time and money than cheap dino.)

I finally settled on the "cheapest dino 10W-30 available" program. At one time, that meant 49 cent Chevron from Kragen. Those were the days for a Saturn driver! Most recently before I got rid of the car, Pepboys had a $1/quart Peak deal.

I had a '94 also. Always saw the best running and least oil consumption with Mobil 1300 Super 15w-40. Even had it analyzed: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=220521

--Matt

Thanks for All the Replies so far.

Turns out this Saturn also has an Oil Leak. Atm I'm looking into finding where the Leak is and how best to repair it. Figure I'll repair the Leak before I proceed any further into the Consumption Problem

Originally Posted By: Scanoe
Thanks for All the Replies so far.

Turns out this Saturn also has an Oil Leak. Atm I'm looking into finding where the Leak is and how best to repair it. Figure I'll repair the Leak before I proceed any further into the Consumption Problem

Mine developed a rear main seal leak somewhere in the 150k miles range. Ended up being a rear main seal, and I never did fixing that engine. I did later swap in a twin cam engine at ~185k that burned even more oil than the stock TBI SOHC engine though :p

--Matt

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
If it gets bad enough you can always grab some sae 70 motor oil.

Bad idea. Gear oil contains EP/AW additives than can become corrosive when used inside an engine.

Originally Posted By: NeuroticHapiSnak
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
If it gets bad enough you can always grab some sae 70 motor oil.

Bad idea. Gear oil contains EP/AW additives than can become corrosive when used inside an engine.

Motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back