Car turning off and starting again while driving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honda? Ignition switch? It is most likely under safety recall campaign. If it was replaced before, most likely it is going again. You probably have 3 pounds of keys hanging off that key-chain which is not helping.

Most likely causes for a circa 2000 Honda:-
1)Ignition Switch (electrical part)
2)Main relay under the dash

If the 1st does not fix it, go after the 2nd one.

Originally Posted By: Vikas

Most likely causes for a circa 2000 Honda:-
1)Ignition Switch (electrical part)
2)Main relay under the dash

If the 1st does not fix it, go after the 2nd one.

+1
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for all the replies!

It does not seem to be doing it today, could it just have a been fluke? My (limited) automotive experience says no, haha

Get it fixed before it dies and there is an 18-wheel on your back. Trust me on this one, you will NOT like the results!

I blew my transmission when van died with this failure. To restart, I had to put it in "N" but I accidentally overshoot the lever and barely touched "R". You can guess the rest.

I doubt it's a fluke... I thought/hoped as much with the accord. Happened infrequently at first for well over a year. My daughter didn't say anything until it became a real problem Fortunately, she was close to home when it finally bit the dust

Replacement took less than an hour. Granted this was an accord and replacing the switch on a civic will be different but I found a number of YouTube videos showing the project step by step.

If you search my posts, you can see the development and great guidance I was provided here on BITOG.

This was back in March of '14

Other good thoughts as to what might be causing this mentioned here by others and the whine from the radio is unlike my experience but I wouldn't let this go without digging a little deeper. Someone mentioned GM... heaven forbid, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back