Subaru 5W30 FF '15 Subaru WRX - 1482 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the first change in the new WRX. I'll keep an eye on these especially, since it's a DI engine, and a turbo at that.

So far so good on the fuel dilution on this report.

Last edited:
So years ago someone on this forum contacted Subaru and eventually got an answer that Subaru uses a 0w-20 oil as their factory fill. Which makes sense b/c all the Subaru factory fill UOAs show oil that's way too thin to be Xw-30 weight oil that sheered down heavily in such little time.

It was back when all their vehicles spec'ed 5w-30 oil, so it was interesting that they all came with 0w-20 from the factory, and that they were never back spec'ed to Xw-20 weight oil.

Originally Posted By: sicko
So years ago someone on this forum contacted Subaru and eventually got an answer that Subaru uses a 0w-20 oil as their factory fill. Which makes sense b/c all the Subaru factory fill UOAs show oil that's way too thin to be Xw-30 weight oil that sheered down heavily in such little time.

It was back when all their vehicles spec'ed 5w-30 oil, so it was interesting that they all came with 0w-20 from the factory, and that they were never back spec'ed to Xw-20 weight oil.

Originally Posted By: jrustles
7.48cSt?
1482mi?
DI Turbo?

What's going on here

You're right. I looked at a bunch of other UOAs for the FA20DIT in the Forester. The wear metals and properties of the oil look spot on with my UOA. Viscosity look to be the same as well across the UOAs as well.

I put in 5W-30 at the change and I just changed that out today and will be sending that in. We'll see what those numbers are like.

I was surprised to see such little fuel in the sample to be honest. As long as the wear numbers are ok and fuel continues to not show up, I'm not worried about the viscosity. The viscosity NEVER came back as a 5W-30 in my N/A EJ253 either. We'll see!

I don't think ANY Subaru factory fill has ever come back as a 30 grade.

If you search this forum and others, you'll find different zinc readings on the factory fill though. Some are above 1,000 ppm's and others are where yours is. Changes in the factory fill formulation or just Blackstone's low zinc readings? Based on the low calcium and ZDDP readings on M1 0W-40 just posted at nasioc, it might just be Blackstone's readings.

Yes, fuel looks great! Maybe those Forester DIT's with high fuel dilutiion are from winter idling or differences in the WRX's ECU programming.

-Dennis

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back