2011 Accord - Axle Seal Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night, I did a routine service on my friend’s four-cyl, 2011 Accord.

After removing the underbody cover to do the transmission drain/refill, I noticed a minor leak from the R/F axle seal.

The car is currently at 57k, and I assume that an axle seal would fall under the powertrain warranty.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? The leak is minor but is definitely noticeable.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Isn't this a fairly common issue for the Accords? Pretty sure there's even an open recall for it.

I searched on driveaccord and found a few posts about this condition, but I have no reason to believe that it is widespread.
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=71233

There was one user, who I suspect to be a dealership employee, who claims that he has seen a bunch of them….but again, it’s all relative.
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?p=2785242&highlight=axle+seal#post2785242

There are currently no open recalls for this particular car.

Quote:

Has anyone else experienced this issue? The leak is minor but is definitely noticeable.

Struggling to determine what wisdom you expect anyone to offer.

Does it matter whether it is a common issue?

My !echo! had a seal leak fixed under warranty @ 30K, another OOW 200K later; just bring it in and get it righted.

Kudos for catching something maybe a JL tech might have missed.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

Struggling to determine what wisdom you expect anyone to offer.

Does it matter whether it is a common issue?

It's really a feeler to get an idea of how much resistance I can expect at the dealer.

If they've seen them before, then it may be a easier conversation than if it was a very rare issue.

Mike, didn't you buy an Alldata subscription for that Honda Accord? Seems like I heard you say you did in a previous thread. The reason why I ask is because I'm curious as heck what they list as an axle seal driver for that car. After an extensive internet search, I'm coming up dry.

I just wanted to provide a final update on this matter.

I took the car to the dealer in early July. The service was simply phenomenal; I dropped off the car right when they opened, and they had the car back to me before lunch. They even price-matched another dealer's coupon for the alignment.

I advised the service writer that there was a small leak from the R/F axle seal, and wanted him to take a look. He did say that there's a $150 diagnostic charge (that's their hourly rate), but it would be waived if the repair was warrantable.

In the end, they took care of the axle seal leak and the alignment as requested.

As a side note, I've noticed that dealers have been going a bit overly thorough with documentation nowadays. I guess that's just the norm now.

Untitled by thecritic89, on Flickr

Last edited:
nice, had to do one on a 97 accord, next time around when its not under warranty DIY is not that difficult.

I don't believe I'd be happy with a repair shop that had the following as a disclaimer on the invoice.

Originally Posted By: From Invoice
If conditions reoccur, further diagnosis and repairs will be necessary at customer expense.

If a repair shop fixes something correctly, the condition won't reoccur. If it does, I'd expect them to repair it correctly under warranty, not at my expense.

It's just your typical CYA response that I've seen. After all, if additional diagnostic time is needed to verify additional leaks, why shouldn't they be paid?

This was definitely the most thorough and service-friendly dealer that I've been to. They didn't fight me on the small oil leak, and had the car back before I expected. They even test-drove the car for a good 10-12 miles to re-check all repairs before returning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back