BMW approved 0W-20 for N20 turbo four cyl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jrustles
On a multi-side port engine which is more emissions oriented, that would be 2 or 4 intake ports (depending on output), likened to a set of intake valves. On a peri-port ie non-MSP engine there is only one intake port, unless it's a custom built hybrid of peri- and side ports, common in racing.

My statement was sort-of sarcastic. The extra ports on a Renesis are more analogous to a variable intake manifold on a piston engine.

Originally Posted By: Blue Angel
The efficiency and emissions of a Wankel rotary are sub-par compared to a piston engine. The Wankel has a few things going for it, but when judged on the most important criteria for a passenger car engine, it falls short.

In what regard? Tooling a 4 door sedan around at part throttle crawling in rush hour traffic in LA? Absolutely. Driving to the corner store, you betcha!

But racing? Haha. No. The wankel has superior reliability in racing and other continuous high output situations (aircraft, watercraft) and even can be more fuel efficient than the racing piston engines! And with no catastrophic failure mode on a Wankel, some people favour them for aircraft where a serious failure will still allow a limp home.

To both points (particularly fuel economy), the 4-rotor 787B race car did consume the least amount of fuel during the 24HLM. That alone is no small thing, more power on less fuel is THE holy grail of rationed fuel racing.

Yes, this is a passenger car related discussion (that is WAY off topic now). If the Wankel has no advantage over a pison engine in a passenger car application, why not skip it altogether and just use a helocopter turbine for race cars instead?
smile.gif

Indeed, the North American emissions components and tuning took a penalty on the original output. Fairly easily recoverable to any owner

My purpose for mentioning the reduced power rating was to point out the very meager power output of the Renesis. At roughly 215 actual hp it's not an exiting engine at all. Maybe for a jet-ski?
smile.gif

Without turbocharging it just isn't capable enough for a street car, unless of course it's a car that weighs far less then an RX8.

Wankels are fantastic in constant output modes. So long as they stay lubed, cooled and sans detonation, they'll keep going. Small, single rotor units are currently being developed for compact, virtually inaudible ICE range extenders for future EVs. 30KW in a briefcase; it's appealing

If you're talking about this:

http://www.gizmag.com/liquidpistol-rotary/24623/

...it's not a Wankel. The company makes a deliberate effort to distinguish it as a new type of engine that has little if anything to do with a Wankel. Neat though.

Fact is, the Wankel just doesn't make a good street car engine. It may have a colorful past, including turbocharging and a respectable racing pedigree, but it just doesn't compete on the elements an engine needs to perform in a modern car. Unfortunate but true. If it made sense to use them you would see them being used. Airplanes, maybe, but not cars.

Wankel patented many many variations of various numbers of lobes in various lobed housings...including the two lobed rotor in three lobed housing.

Wankel's speciality was seal design, and with his rotaries, he needed that speciality in spades.

jrustles could be referring to any one of the APU type machines over the last 50 years...probably not the Mercedes C111 'though.

Quote from that article:

"When asked whether the X2 engine isn’t just an updated Wankel, Shkolnik pointed out that though both are rotary engines, the Wankel is very different."

I would assume someone who has gone to the lengths they have would know about the various Wankel engine designs and when asked, would refer to Wankel if theirs was based on one of them.

I'm assuming this is the engine jrustles is talking about. For all I know it could be something completely different.

All of this Wankel discussion put me in a nostalgic mood, so I got on Amazon over the weekend and bought a copy of Jan Norbye's book from the early 70's on the Wankel engine. I read that book back in the mid-80's when I was preparing to interview at the John Deere Rotary Engine Division. In the early 70's, every auto manufacturer had Wankel engine projects heading for production, led by GM. Jan Norbye wrote for Popular Science magazine, and there was a monthly column dedicated to progress on Wankel engines. The Monza was originally supposed to have a Wankel engine, and it would have been a screamer with that engine. But Ed Cole retired and almost immediately GM cancelled production plans for the Wankel, and crash-programmed I4, V6, and V8 engines into the car. When I was going to school at General Motors Institute in the early 80's, I was pleasantly surprised to find a GM Wankel engine sitting on a shelf in the engine test lab. If I had known then what I was going to get into at John Deere a few years later, maybe I would have thought up an independent study project to work on it.

Another interesting piece that was in the GMI engine lab was a SOHC Pontiac V8. I asked the technician in charge of the lab what it was and he said it was a 5-liter Repco-Pontiac that had been built for the TransAm series in the late 60's but had been outlawed before it could race.

Last edited:
That is an awesome book...my local library has it, and I've borrowed it half a dozen times the last 20 years.

The Mercedes "double wankel" diesels with more seals, and higher pressures really seemed like trying to drag defeat from the jaws of victory.

A guy I know has a Monza. He's owned it for a very long time, and has transformed it from a small block powered handling focused car to a ~560 cu in BBC drag car. I wonder if he knows it was originally destined to have a rotary powerplant?

Thanks for sharing, I didn't know GM had a history with rotaries.

Originally Posted By: Blue_Angel

Yes, this is a passenger car related discussion (that is WAY off topic now). If the Wankel has no advantage over a pison engine in a passenger car application, why not skip it altogether and just use a helocopter turbine for race cars instead? smile

Well, the Wankel will always have the advantages of supreme smoothness, power density, compactness and a non-catastrophic failure mode over a piston engine- always. How relevant that is to current passenger car priorities, well, you got the smoothness and the footprint contraindicated by thermal efficiency and development stage.

There's a video of a racing rotary engine with a glass of water on top. All you hear is brap brap brap below, but the water didn't even ripple! You could see clear reflections off the resting water. That's smooth!

Quote:

My purpose for mentioning the reduced power rating was to point out the very meager power output of the Renesis. At roughly 215 actual hp it's not an exiting engine at all. Maybe for a jet-ski?
smile.gif

215 actual hp is kind of something you made up, just to be fair.
That said, if '215' actual HP is meager, and only suitable for a jetski, then I can't imagine what most of Honda's sub-2.0L piston engines are suitable for... weed wackers? lawn mowers? snow blowers? lol just saying.

Quote:

Without turbocharging it just isn't capable enough for a street car, unless of course it's a car that weighs far less then an RX8.

I agree wholeheartedly that the RX-8 was not the ideal car for the Renesis, the MX-5 (RX-5??) was. And it originally was developed on an MX-5 chassis, but some 'exec' had to screw things up and mandate it be installed in a new 4 door.

"a "skunkworks project" engineering team within Mazda kept the development of the 13B-MSP alive using MX-5 Miata chassis, eventually catching the attention of management, which at this time had come under heavy influence from Ford. Development of the 13B-MSP advanced and eventually led to the RENESIS moniker debuting along with the RX-EVOLV concept car"

Rotards are just happy that someone produced the engine for them to use.

About turbo Wank's on the street? enh. Turbo Wankels don't make good grocery getters, perhaps even less suitably than a non-turbo Wankel. Motorsport will always be where the Wankel shines.

Quote:

If you're talking about this:

http://www.gizmag.com/liquidpistol-rotary/24623/

...it's not a Wankel. The company makes a deliberate effort to distinguish it as a new type of engine that has little if anything to do with a Wankel. Neat though.

Awh that is neat. It looks like a Wankel with externalized apex seals (in the housing against a round rotor, like a rotary refrigerant compressor). Cool, never seen that before.

I was talking about these:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...+range+extender

results included from Audi, Mazda

Originally Posted By: Blue_Angel
Thanks for sharing, I didn't know GM had a history with rotaries.

oH YES, Like A_Harmon said, they all dipped their feet in it. Ultimately, none were viable except for Mazda. Rotards rejoice lol

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
All of this Wankel discussion put me in a nostalgic mood, so I got on Amazon over the weekend and bought a copy of Jan Norbye's book from the early 70's on the Wankel engine. I read that book back in the mid-80's when I was preparing to interview at the John Deere Rotary Engine Division. In the early 70's, every auto manufacturer had Wankel engine projects heading for production, led by GM.

Cool story, thanks for sharing. How cool is that, you were almost instrumental to a JD Wankel engine! Also, Jan's book looks interesting, should check the lib's around here for it- the other Wankel varients look interesting
cheers3.gif

I got the job at John Deere and worked on their stratified charge Wankels for five years. I loved it, but working on the east coast was too expensive for me, so I got a job at Cummins. Two weeks after I left, John Deere announced they were selling off the business.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I got the job at John Deere and worked on their stratified charge Wankels for five years. I loved it, but working on the east coast was too expensive for me, so I got a job at Cummins. Two weeks after I left, John Deere announced they were selling off the business.

That's pretty slick. Are you able to divulge any information about the project??
laugh.gif

Saying no other manufacturer couldn't make a NA car with 2L of displacement and greater than 240 HP is just silly. If they wanted to I'm sure they could. The F20/F22 is certainly and engineering marvel. Honda was ahead of the times when this motor was developed. The fact is there is not another car I can think of with a 2.0 or 2.2 liter displacement that puts out the power it does in normally aspirated trim,(piston engine) period. You can argue all day about what you prefer torque, high revving 8-9000 rpm screamer at the end of the day its different strokes for different folks.

It is really easy to slap a turbo on a car and produce power it is a bit harder to do it without and Honda did just that.

Those who think the s2k is underwhelming at low revs, you don't know how to drive it! Having owned one for 6 years I never felt it couldn't get out of its own way. To this day it is one of my favorite cars that I have owned. I left many a more expensive car in the dust on the track.

Originally Posted By: Swifty

Those who think the s2k is underwhelming at low revs, you don't know how to drive it! Having owned one for 6 years I never felt it couldn't get out of its own way. To this day it is one of my favorite cars that I have owned. I left many a more expensive car in the dust on the track.

I suspect your just a good (fast) driver.
While I like the s2K I'm not aware of any "more expensive" sportcars that is can take on the track. The Porsche Boxster comes to mind that isn't that much more expensive and it is definitely faster.

First gen of s2000 were 250 some hp .those motor are like sport bike .rev it baby.just a plain old delsol 1995 or so with a b16a (twin cam)could pretty much leave behind them most car in the same category .in 98 we got the god of small car the integra type r.now a day when you see type r people are like whats that!but back then type r meant your ods were very low of being ahead of said type r
As there ever been a honda s2000 type R ?

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
I suspect your just a good (fast) driver. While I like the s2K I'm not aware of any "more expensive" sportcars that is can take on the track. The Porsche Boxster comes to mind that isn't that much more expensive and it is definitely faster.

No, Boxster with 2.7L 6-cyl doesn't but Boxster-S with larger 6-cyl(3.0L or 3.2L ?) does.

No S2000 Type-R but there was S2000-CR(Club Racer)

Last edited:
Car and Driver in 2003 had a comparison of these cars: Audi TT, BMW Z4, Porsche Boxster, Nissan 350Z and Honda S2000.

This is what they said about 3 years old S2000:
"This is a scalpel-quick sports car when you keep it boiling, quickest of the bunch around the BeaveRun road course, barely behind the Z4 in acceleration, even though it gives away a full liter of displacement."

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/...omparison-tests

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: Swifty

I suspect your just a good (fast) driver.
While I like the s2K I'm not aware of any "more expensive" sportcars that is can take on the track. The Porsche Boxster comes to mind that isn't that much more expensive and it is definitely faster.

The 986 boxter s you could easily hang with it and it cost considerably more! The 987's well that's another story definitely more of a challenge then again your looking at a 65+ thousand dollar car. Yes being a good driver certainly makes a great car even better.

As HTSS stated in his post back in 2003 it handled most of those cars pretty well and was one of the least expensive with the smallest motor. All of them great cars.

My initial reply wasn't necessarily directed at you more at the(s2k)conversation in general with some of the other posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back