Ever break a grease zirk ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you ever snapped a grease zerk off when installing it? This one here is a 6mm x 1.0mm grease zirk. It was going in real hard with a nut driver, so I decided to use a 1/4 inch drive ratchet with an 8mm socket to turn it in. Just before it was fully seated, it snapped. I was half way into replacing the lower control arms when I had to abort the mission and go in reverse. Got the old lower control arms back on. I'm pretty angry with myself right now fellas, but I thought I'd risk the embarrassment of posting this in hopes of somebody out there may have the perfect solution.

I feel ya. I know what it's like to bust a fastener just before it's tight enough for my liking.

There's no way to dremel a notch in what's left and get it out with a flat screwdriver? Newness is on your side.

It broke flush with the ball joint eljefino. The hole is right around 7/64'' in size which would be the inside diameter of the broken grease fitting. Right now I'm trying to figure out which type of extractor to use.

Why was it so tight?
Cross threaded?
Did the old zirk come out OK?

Last edited:
A reverse thread drill bit should spin it right out.

A square nail also works as a cheap & easy extractor for broken grease fittings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back