Car turning off and starting again while driving

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my way home from work today I noticed my car stereo turning off and turning back on again. I also noticed a high pitched whine coming from the speakers that increased with engine RPM. I thought something was going on my stereo, but then I noticed my car was actually turning off and back on while I was driving!

I knew this because the RPM needle would drop and the lights on the dash would come on. I revved my engine a few times and it seems to have gone away, but I will not be surprised if it's back tomorrow, possibly even worse this time.

Any ideas what this could be? I really do not want to get stranded, I'm out of state working over the summer and unfamiliar with the area. I'm assuming it's something electrical, so maybe the alternator is starting to go? I checked the battery terminal and my speaker hookups, I don't see any shorts.

thank you!!

Uh... information is very lacking.. car model and year would be a good start.

Originally Posted By: llmercll
On my way home from work today I noticed my car stereo turning off and turning back on again. I also noticed a high pitched whine coming from the speakers that increased with engine RPM. I thought something was going on my stereo, but then I noticed my car was actually turning off and back on while I was driving!

I knew this because the RPM needle would drop and the lights on the dash would come on. I revved my engine a few times and it seems to have gone away, but I will not be surprised if it's back tomorrow, possibly even worse this time.

Any ideas what this could be? I really do not want to get stranded, I'm out of state working over the summer and unfamiliar with the area. I'm assuming it's something electrical, so maybe the alternator is starting to go? I checked the battery terminal and my speaker hookups, I don't see any shorts.

thank you!!

Get one of those LED meters that plugs into the cigarette lighter and watch it when this happens.

It could be an intermittent ignition switch, loose battery cable, loose ground, etc.

there are various troubleshooting steps you can follow,

most likely some kind of electrical problem- ignition module, ground, ignition key/cylinder but thats by no means an exhaustive list.

Originally Posted By: tdpark
sounds like ignition switch. Is there a burning smell coming from the steering column?

Lol is it a GM?

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Get one of those LED meters that plugs into the cigarette lighter and watch it when this happens.

It could be an intermittent ignition switch, loose battery cable, loose ground, etc.

Add to that list a battery failing (intermittent open circuit) or even fuses that are on the edge.

Just start checking that everything electrical is solid.

Might also check if you have a 10# (5kg) key ring full of keys. Try driving with just the car key if you have a large ring full of keys hanging from the ignition switch.

You say that like it's a problem.

I recall my 1966 Nova let me take the key out of the ignition while it was running. Useful when you are a teen and your teen friends think it's funny to shut off your car while you are driving.

Start car, put key back in pocket, problem solved
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: tdpark
sounds like ignition switch. Is there a burning smell coming from the steering column?

Lol is it a GM?

Ignition switch or a bad earth would be my first things to look at, after that, I've seen dizzy/hall sender failure on more 90's hondas than I can remember or count..

The high pitched whine is a strong clue.
I'd be willing to bet that you have a bad diode pack in the alternator.
Have it tested.

The whine could also be on the HV ignition side. Plugs/ wires/ ignitor/ distributor/ coil.

Went through a similar problem with my daughter's 98 Accord and ended up replacing the ignition wiring in steering column Cost was about $70 from Rock Auto and was an easy job

Check out any of the Honda forums

Another culprit could be the fuel relay... Easy $35 fix as well

I realize you have a civic but the symptoms are similar

Honda Tech

Had a similar problem with a 2004 5spd. The alternator ground is through the mounting bolts. The original had corrosion between that interface causing a random intermittent loss of power. That was a head scratcher for some time.

It usually isn't a problem until someone replaces the original alternator and doesn't get the mounting bolts tight.

Check that first as I've read that leaving it in that condtion can fry the computer.

Originally Posted By: llmercll
Sorry,

It's a 2001 Honda Civic 5 Speed

Thanks!

I had that happen on a '91 Accord. It was pitted contacts in the ignition switch. I took it apart and cleaned it up, and it worked fine. Then I bought a new one.

GM is facing lawsuits for deaths involving those symptoms. Huge recall is in progress.
Yeah I'd have that checked out most Rickey Tick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back