John Deere X300

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all! I did my first oil change in it last evening @ 7 hours. They recommend 10W-30 but I have a whole case left of Conoco 5W-30 Synthetic Blend from my 05 RX. I really want to find a use for it so I put two quarts of it in my JD. Do you guys think this will be okay in the 18.5 Kawasaki FS600V V-twin? The manual suggests anything from SAE30, 10W-40,10W-30, even down to 5W-20 for winter time I suppose (no mention of 5W-30 though). any thoughts on it are appreciated thanks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PhilsSmallEngine
A Kawasaki may use a bit of it or it may escape past the seals when cold, but I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep checking the levels before you use it and don't look back.

Thanks..
smile.gif

Last edited:
I wouldn't.... especially on an air cooled engine.

If you do, monitor it closely for consumption, and I'd be changing it more often.

I wouldn't necessarily choose that oil either for this application, but like we always say, maintain proper level and a reasonable change interval and it will probably do fine on it.

I personally like heavy-duty/fleet/diesel 15w40 for my small air cooled engines.

Originally Posted By: zoinks
Why do people always ask if it's okay AFTER the oil change?

cause im an idiot i dont know. last night i dumped that two quarts of 5W-30 and put in Valvoline 10W-30 white bottle. (left the filter in place) just for piece of mind.

I generally use conventional 10W-30 or 5W-30 on my lawnmower. These are from leftover cases I had from years back, when API SL was the most up to date rating.

No experience using synthetic or synthetic blend in a mower, but I do remember reading a caution in the owner's manual that if you do use synthetic, there may be some oil consumption and to check the level frequently.

There is no issue with running a 5w30 or 10w30 in that engine. The only difference is the potential for oil consumption. Many manufacturers recommend a synthetic 5w30 or 10w30 but state in the manual that oil consumption might increase and it is important to keep the oil level full.

I only recommend HDEO to my small engine customers because many of them are not great at checking the oil. With small engines, the oil level is more important than the viscosity. Almost all small engines will be perfectly fine on anything from 5w20 all the way up to 20w50 (with the exception of snow blowers) as long as the oil level is carefully monitored.

The difference between a 5w30 and 10w30 is miniscule, and I doubt the engine would notice a difference. If you check the oil level often (I check mine before each use out of habit) you will have no issues running pretty much any oil. My dad is the perfect example of this. He bought a Murray push mower with a 4.5hp Tecumseh engine when he first bought our house. We sold that mower over 20 years later in perfect running condition. It started first pull and didn't smoke at all. I think the oil was changed in it once (by me when I was first learning about engines) over the course of its life. My dad just added oil whenever it got to the "add" mark on the dipstick. I'm not saying this is the correct way to maintain equipment, but it goes to show that the oil level is more important than the viscosity.

Here's what I see in the online manual for the X300. Looks like 5W-30 is recommended in temperatures of -20°F - +90°F.

OMM155820_H666.jpg

Have you ever seen increased consumption on 5W-30? I'm just asking because I use M1 AFE 0W-30 in all my OPE (fixed standby generator, garden tractor, lawn mower, snow thrower) and I've never seen anything I would call excessive consumption. Could just be my definition but I really wonder if that is true.

Actually since I used the snow thrower so much last year I changed it out halfway with 0W-20 and also had no real issues. It did use a bit more but again, not a lot.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I wouldn't.... especially on an air cooled engine.

If you do, monitor it closely for consumption, and I'd be changing it more often.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Have you ever seen increased consumption on 5W-30?

I think it really depends on the age/wear on the engine, and the manufacturers only put that in the manual to cover themselves. The only consumption I've noticed is on engines that are older and probably burn/leak oil anyways.

My grandfather mows about 5 hours every weekend with his Scag commercial mower. The mower has a 22hp Kohler V-Twin on it, and burns about a half quart every 4 mowings (20 hours) with 5w30. The engine burns no noticeable amount of oil with 15w40 HDEO, so I just use that since he is not an avid oil level checker. The engine has over 700 hard hours on it, so I'm not surprised it does burn oil, but I just use the thicker oil so he won't have to worry or experience a break down.

Last year I had to get rid of a 2000 AYP lawn tractor that I mowed with for 13 years. It had a 14.5 Briggs twin and all I ever did to the engine was change the oil at the end of each season (so it didn't sit all winter with dirty oil) and maybe once during the summer if the usage warranted it....and clean the air filter. All it ever got was whatever 5W30 or 10W30 I had on hand...a mix of Citgo, PYB, Valvoline Maxlife and Trop Artic mostly. It must've had 800 hours when I let it go and was still running like a top. I never even changed the plugs in it. I only let it go because the mower deck was a PITA. Now have a 22 hp JD and it started with Motorcraft 10W30 and will get Formula Shell at the next oil change.

If you're still under warranty, you should stick with what kawasaki reccomends. I have a new Husqvarna with same engine. Husq doesn't warranty the engine,Kawasaki does. It's listed right on the dipstick in the order that they prefer. Sae30 followed by 10w-30 second. Take a look. Kawasaki warranty is three years. My plan, sae30 in hot summer. Run 10w-30 in fall and spring for leaf pickup.I love how easy this thing fires up.Even with the sae30. Never needs the choke! Good luck.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Have you ever seen increased consumption on 5W-30?

Briggs says to expect higher consumption over 80 degrees F using conventional multi-weight oils. And with my experience, that's correct. So if you live out in the midwest somewhere and mow your grass between 60-70 degrees, conventional multi-weight oils will work fine for you. Were I live, its 95 degrees for about 6 months out of the year and small engines drink conventional multi-weight oil like a cold beer on a hot day. I typically use SAE30HD oil or 10W30 synthetic and both do a good job with consumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back