Air Tool Oil For Firearms ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably work as well as any other oil. If you're going to spend $1/oz you may as well get a gun related oil.

Probably just a basic mineral oil. It will lubricate, sure. It probably doesn't have any ingredients for cutting carbon like many gun oils do.

I have about 15 gun oils in my collection. I've made a very detailed spread sheet detailing what lube on what gun, what solvent used, how many rounds fired, etc. Based on my research, my two favorite gun lubes are

M Pro 7 LPX gun oil
http://www.amazon.com/M-Pro-Gun-Oil-Ounc...rds=m+pro+7+oil

and Breakfree LP (NOT CLP, a completely different product)
http://www.amazon.com/Break-Free-Lubrica...C1J1A7B7D7179BT

These two gun oils have a thicker viscosity, don't burn off, and stay on the gun even if sitting in the safe for over a year. They work great in my tropical environment.

For arctic conditions, I recommend G96 synthetic gun oil CLP. It has a light viscosity and remains fluid in the deep freezer. Good stuff. It is one of the only lubes commercially available that is approved for use by the US military on small arms. Breakfree CLP is no longer approved for use by the US military.
http://www.amazon.com/G96-Products-Synth...mp;keywords=g96

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
LUBRICANTS 101

ATF is NOT a good gun oil regardless of what that article states.

Why do you think so? Not meaning a flame, just was curious what information led to your observation.

Originally Posted By: 2cool

Why do you think so? Not meaning a flame, just was curious what information led to your observation.

ATF is designed to be used in an automatic transmission which is a sealed unit, that operates with relatively low amounts of boundary regime conditions, contains low amounts of AW additives, contains additives for clutch slip that will have no use in firearms, and they are typically red that will stain just about anything and stink to high heaven.

Better than nothing? Sure, but not ideal.

Motor oil has higher levels of AW and corrosion inhibitor, doesn't stink as bad, and is generally better at boundary regime lubrication which all firearms operate under.

Even motor oil will not contain EP additives that will aid with boundary lubrication. IMHO, a proper gun oil will contain EP additives to help smooth the surface of the metal and prevent galling, especially with stainless steel.

Anybody know whats changed about breakfree clp that its no longer mil-spec. Been using it on my glock and havent had any issues plus it cleans up easily after a session.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
A good automotive gear oil rated GL-5 will have EP additives, although they tend to have a noticeable odor themselves.

This is true, but not all EP additives are the same. GL-5 is designed for gears under very heavy loads, and typically contain phos and sulfur to accommodate this. Phos and especially sulfur do not "activate" at lower temps / pressure (as in local asperity collision, not general lubricant temps) and so will not be of much use in firearms.

This is why chlorine is often used in firearm lubricants because it's "activation", that is it's ability to react with the base metal and provide protection, is much lower. It's also essentially orderless in a formulated product with little color change.

It's my understanding that there are new polymer typ. EP adds with similar properties to chlorine, but I haven't been able to find a lot information on these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back