1999 Protege alternator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am changing out the alternator on the wife's 99 Mazda Protege. I have it off the engine, cannot find a way to remove it from behind the engine. I have removed small parts, brackets, but no go. looks like removing power steering lines and a/c lines are next, the only other thing I can see is removing intake manifold. Anyone deal with this? I have looked up utube videos, but car had a lot more room to get alt. out.

Finally got it out. Had to take apart all the hose clamps and brackets, put the ps pressure hose over the top of the engine, return line under the accessory pulleys, and a/c line over strut tower with a pry bar. Now to put the new alternator in----

Another car designed for assembly and sale, not maintenance. Just like the Ranger and just about every other car you see. My 528s are a refreshing change to service and maintain. There are some PITA jobs. But on the whole you wrench the car with hand tools.

On a saturn a person removes the inner fender liner-- would that have been an option for you?

Also you can sometimes undo a "dogbone" mount and roll the car either fore or aft which pulls the engine away from the firewall while it's still safely supported by its other mounts.

I sure hope you got an OE quality alternator, so you don't have to go through this torture again.

Do you know of any Mazda Protege enthusiast pages? Sometimes you can find a section where a D.I.Y.er discovered some secret to making a job easier than it appears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back