How to clean sticky leather?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've purchased a nice vintage doctor's bag from eBay, and it's in fine condition all around. It will hld my rain jacket, flashlight, and other items in the car's trunk. However, the handles (which I presume are leather too) are sticky to hold, whereas the rest of the bag, a pebbled leather, is clean and dry. Not dried out, just dry.

Last night I tried a leather cleaner/conditioner that has worked well on my car seats for years, but it didn't remove the stickiness from the handles. What would work? Saddle soap?

I would take it to a leather repair shop (or a shoe repair shop) and have them work on it.

The only hardcore cleaner that is still safe is probably the Leather Master Strong Cleaner. I use it occasionally on my steering wheel.

Yes, I have a favorite, old-style shoe shop in the suburbs that's open on Saturday mornings, so that would work. Of course, the handles aren't going to be used much; the bag will stay in the car -- I don't plan to lug it around much. But I'd like it to feel nice and clean when I do.

My leather briefcase handles have the same problem. They are impossible to keep clean and non-tacky. The oil from your hands, along with any dirt or grime on them, just gets ground in. I have given up on it and actually like the patina and tacky feel (fewer blisters on the walk to work).

So my two cents is to just leave it alone.

Originally Posted By: dparm
My leather briefcase handles have the same problem. They are impossible to keep clean and non-tacky. The oil from your hands, along with any dirt or grime on them, just gets ground in. I have given up on it and actually like the patina and tacky feel (fewer blisters on the walk to work).

That was the word I was looking for: non-tacky! That's what I want to get rid of. It's possible that these handles, being a rougher leather than the smoother handles on my vintage attorney briefcase, will be hard to get clean enough, but I want to try. After that, keeping them clean shouldn't be too bad, since I won't handle the bag too much.

You could try cleaning it with a mild hand soap. If it is really tough, you could try some diluted rubbing alcohol on the underside with a rag to test. The alcohol will dry out the leather, so you'll definitely want to condition it afterwards.

I use Lexol at home, but never needed it really for something super sticky.

Speaking of soap, I've found that a 1:20 mixture of Wool-Lite:water works well for cleaning leather (I've heard 1:10 can work well too). It's all I've used on the steering wheel in the GTI and it leaves it feeling nice and soft with good texture.

Originally Posted By: Mykl
Speaking of soap, I've found that a 1:20 mixture of Wool-Lite:water works well for cleaning leather (I've heard 1:10 can work well too). It's all I've used on the steering wheel in the GTI and it leaves it feeling nice and soft with good texture.

I saw that one on a forum in my search. It so happens I have some Woolite at home. Something I can try tonight!

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Originally Posted By: dparm

That was the word I was looking for: non-tacky! That's what I want to get rid of. It's possible that these handles, being a rougher leather than the smoother handles on my vintage attorney briefcase, will be hard to get clean enough, but I want to try. After that, keeping them clean shouldn't be too bad, since I won't handle the bag too much.

It's also because the handle will crease and compress from you grasping it and the overall weight.

It's a losing proposition. I think bags look better with some wear-and-tear...gives it some personality and tells the world you have been actually using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back