Mike Rowe's Commentary on Regional Jets - Funny

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL. It is like changing your trans fluid: go early, go often and do it before it gets critical.

It's really a little silly.
We've flown on lots of regional aircraft, including CRJ70s, and I've never seen anything like what the OP on Anet describes.
Yeah, United does tend to stretch these things out to fly routes longer than what most folks expect on a regional, but if Canadair (Bombadier) didn't intend them to be operated on those routes, then the aircraft would have neither the range to make such flights nor the useful load to make such flights with almost all of the seats full.
Of course, if pax would have the sense to look at the aircraft they're getting for the fare they're paying, they could then choose the greater lav availability of an A319 or 73G and travel in greater comfort.
On any typical trip, we usually prefer regional aircraft, since there are no middle seats. Heck, on the left side of an ERJ, there are no seats to either side of you.

That many people standing in the rear (aft) of a small jet like that will shift the center-of-gravity aft, destabilizing the pitch axis a bit. So the aircraft will be more touchy in pitch. .... From now on, when there is a line at the rear bathroom, ask all the fat people to PLEASE move to the front seats for flight safety reasons. Over and out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
I hate flying.

Do you hate the flying, or the:

Get up at 4am. Fight traffic to the airport. Think about your amazing parking fees as you search for a spot. Lug your bags in the front door. Wait in security for a godawful time. Have your bags examined and possibly your person as well. Walk 1/2 mile to the escalator, then another 1/2 mile to the gate. Buy an overpriced drink and later, because your flight is delayed, an overpriced greasy meal and an alcoholic drink, because now if you don't have one you'll explode. Then the cattle call (MOO!) as you stand in line yet again to get onto the plane. Then the jostling of your fellow passengers as some idiot tries to fit an oversize bag (that they've been told won't fit but they say it will) into the overhead compartment as 20 people wait, rolling their eyes, until a flight attendant comes to remove the bag and get things moving. Now you're finally seated and it's hot and the baby 3 rows behind you is crying.

>actual flying part
After landing, everyone stands up even though the door won't be opened for 5 minutes. MOO out of the plane with everyone else, including the bag idiot who is now complaining he will have to go to baggage pickup for his steamer trunk, and blocks the aisle for two minutes bit chin' to the flight attendant, until the big guy from Pittsburgh tells him to get moving, which he does with a dirty look. 1/2 mile or more through the terminal, and another 30 minute wait sees you in a rental car or bus transportation (or family member with a cool drink in hand for you!) and away from the airport to fight traffic again.

Yeah I think you hate the experience, not the actual flying part.
grin2.gif

I was a flight attendant for Delta in the mid-90s. Due in part to what air travel has become, that 'career' only lasted 2 years. Flying brings out the worst in people, for all the reasons listed in Kuato's post. You wouldn't even believe some of the stuff I dealt with in flight. I quit in 1997, and my opinion of the flying public has not improved, as I do still travel by air. Thankfully, I'm no longer handing out drinks, cleaning up vomit or listening to incessant griping while doing so. But I do employ a few 'must-haves' when booking a flight. I avoid RJs whenever possible, because they are little more than a flying paper towel roll. And I grab the forward-most isle seat available, as I don't care how long it takes to get ON the plane, I care how long it takes to get OFF.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back