Rust ? fuel filter 20 000 miles cut open pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this red sediment rust?
I changed my fuel filter for the first time on my Van at 20 000 miles. Decided to cut it open. There was some red sediment at the bottom just above the water sensor screw hole. Wiped it clean and scraped it with screw driver but its not coming off. I thought it was rust.
The water light never on the dash, and so I never drained the fuel filter in 20,000miles. I didn't know how to get to the drain screw before. Too congested. I know now because I just took the whole dam filter out. My first fuel filter change. Feels good. Now I'm a bit worried about the cheap aftermarket filter I put in.
The paper on the original filter looked black but I'm not certain it is filtered dirt or the paper was a dark color to start with. If it is dirt, then that original filter did a great job in 20 000 miles to pick up that much black stuff from the fuel.

A lot of the dirt particles on the filter housing in the photos is from the angle grinder spray while cutting the filter or just general dust from the the garage.
There was one pleat in the paper which was, interestingly, completely white. I think it was an Albino cos it is one in a hundred pleats. I think it's the seal where the circle of pleats come together and are glued.

Do you think this is rust.

Last edited:
why didn't my water-in-fuel-filter-light appear on the dash to alert me.It's worrying that there is water in there and the warning light aint working. No way to tell how much water is in there. How often should you drain the filter.

OneEyeJack: I know thats what I'm thinking now, but I'm sure the cheap filter will work too. I might have to change it out sooner than the genuine one. Genuine filter about $80. Aftermarket filer about $25. but now I'm thinking I can live with cheap oil filters but I want a really good fuel filter.

You see the 8 small hole on the top of the filter...is that where the filtered fuel travels out of the filter and towards the engine?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Crankytank
why didn't my water-in-fuel-filter-light appear on the dash to alert me.It's worrying that there is water in there and the warning light aint working.

Huh? Is this an Australian thing? I've never heard of this.

This should not have been posted in HDEO....
49.gif

You had only moisture in your fuel.probably from condensation,not nearly enough to trigger warning light.Be very careful with cheap filters,one of my actually burst on my common rail car.

Originally Posted By: tony1679
Originally Posted By: Crankytank
why didn't my water-in-fuel-filter-light appear on the dash to alert me.It's worrying that there is water in there and the warning light aint working.

Huh? Is this an Australian thing? I've never heard of this.

This should not have been posted in HDEO....
49.gif

yeah, sorry i just realised, this sub forum is HDEO (OILS)....sorry. i thought it was "Lubrication and General Automotive » Mechanical /Maintenance Forum" I got confused. Sorry. Maybe a moderator will move the thread.
Do you mean is the water light an Aussie thing? Not sure.

Anyone else getting rust. I thought the oily diesel fuel would have prevented rust from a bit of moisture in the fuel filter. I wonder if there's a way to test the water sensor.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chrisri
You had only moisture in your fuel.probably from condensation,not nearly enough to trigger warning light.Be very careful with cheap filters,one of my actually burst on my common rail car.

It may have been when i didn't drive the van for a month whilst overseas. And it's cold winter here in Sydney now which does mean condesation.
Is it really worth keeping the fuel tank full to stop condensation. Its a plastic tank which might get less condesation. I don't think anyone actually goes to the effort of keeping tank full all the time.
But how often should you drain the fuel flter. I can't catch what comes out of the filter drain screw to measure water content. i can barely reach the drain screw from underneath to turn it.

I gave up checking for water in my filter, it never seemed to have any. I just change the filter.

Probably the bio part.if its a gas car .you likely have gassed with high content ethanol.and ethanol and water are like lover.this can cause rust over a period of time .check your car manual .its likely the fuel filter was on the car too long .usually its this amount of mile or a time period .(likely 2 year)

With the prevalence to red soil in Australia i would vote for contamination in the fuel and the filter has done its job nicely.

I wouod never advise fitting a cheap fuel filter.

In fact i never fit cheap filters unless it was a cheap car that i bought to sell on and gave a quick service, though even then i would be more likely to go OE standard with a known make, Bosch, Hengst or Purolater seem to be the ones i use mostly.

Last edited:
No need to drain filter nowadays.Condensation is normal,it will occur in every climate even dry like yours.Change filter every 30k with good quality ones and that's it.

You usually drain it it at coming of winter and coming of summer.should be fine.if you are a high miller ,drain it at oil change

It doesnt mean you ll catch something and it doesnt mean you wont catch something.it is a preventive mainenance thing .(just in case you hit a gas station that has gas or fuel quality issue .this can save ton of issue .

Originally Posted By: chrisri
You had only moisture in your fuel.probably from condensation,not nearly enough to trigger warning light.

That sounds about right.

That is nothing.
This is how the fuelfilter looked like in my C20 when i replaced it.
DSC_0196.jpg

DSC_0195.jpg

DSC_0193.jpg

DSC_0194.jpg

Never trust the previous owner "i replace the filter,s once every year"
yeah right, this one has probably been there since the 90,s...
and so was the oilfilter it was also a purolator but it had been there for such a long time that the white paint was worn of from it in places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back