tc-w3 in a di engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: badtlc
Don't.

+1

Use TopTier gas, a good synthetic, change it at severe service intervals and never worry about it. Or try for longer with UOAs.

Originally Posted By: brandini
Originally Posted By: badtlc
Don't.

+1

Use TopTier gas, a good synthetic, change it at severe service intervals and never worry about it. Or try for longer with UOAs.

And use a good fuel system cleaner fairly regularly. The DI injectors foul easily.

I don't know about your DI engine .. but if you have HPFP I would like some extra lubricity in the system ...
FP+ or Redline SI-1 what I use ...

pale oils added to fuel can cause the FI atomization to agglomerate to larger droplets - which will hurt efficiency. I do not know at what treat rate this would occur to your detriment. Id skip it. Run a top "real" synthetic and run the car hard top minimize carbon/ash on the pistons and keep the rings free and EP bonded.
I have to do this just to keep my modest FIT running in top shape - Otherwise it runs like a 50hp Cortina.

Originally Posted By: Ndx
I don't know about your DI engine .. but if you have HPFP I would like some extra lubricity in the system ...
FP+ or Redline SI-1 what I use ...
'

Yeah it's a good point, since "proven" diesel HPFPs already have the reasonably lubricating diesel fuel to work with, wheres gasoline does not have nearly the lubricity. Dubious as best that this will amount to a pandemic concern, but that is a concrete difference betweeen the diesel HPFPs we have experience with vs GDI pumps. They're still somewhat relatively 'new' in the real world.

At the standard treat rate of 1 ounce per 5 gallons we cannot honestly believe any harm will come to any of the fuel system parts,can we ?

OP
I add tc-w3 to every combustion engine I own,gas and diesel. From my generators and compressors to my Harley and all my bikes and every car/truck I own/maintain.
My work vans have crazy high miles yet run fantastically,and I've never had an injector issue,with over 350k on them.
In fact I cannot recall having an injector issue ever,on anything,no carb problems on the generators/compressors either.
And everything I own runs as good as,or better than new,so I won't be changing any of my habits any time soon.
Not only that but I achieve in excess of the advertised mileage on everything too.

Correlation doesn't imply causation.

I've never added tc-w3 and have received similar results as Clevy; of course, it is because I use FP+ (lol)

Last edited:
I'm with simple gifts. I don't use tcw-3 but my cars always last a long time. I always figured it was because I'm tall. That seems silly in retrospect, but then so does using outboard mix oil in a car.

Anyway, why anyone would use and upper cylinder lube in an engine that injects the fuel directly into the cylinder is beyond me. I guess if you think it's protecting the fuel system have at it.

Originally Posted By: waltywalt
What's your guys theory on using it in a DI engine.

What are you trying to accomplish? Or, what are you trying to prevent?

I was just asking because I have a di engine. I use top tier fuel. I run synthetic and change my oil for severe service which is 3,750 miles. I also use tectron complete fuel cleaner and I still have had issues with carbon and engine knock. Car calls for 87 octane. I run 5w30 mostly qsud. Maybe ill go back to Castrol syntec because of the teost test. IM just trying anything I can to combat the di issues.

Everyone hear seems to think that beating on the car helps but im sorry that's not going to happen. I just cant do it. I guess ill keep using the tectron stuff atleast twice during a oci and hope for the best. Also im thinking of using that 3m kit every 20,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: waltywalt
I was just asking because I have a di engine. I use top tier fuel. I run synthetic and change my oil for severe service which is 3,750 miles. I also use tectron complete fuel cleaner and I still have had issues with carbon and engine knock. Car calls for 87 octane. I run 5w30 mostly qsud. Maybe ill go back to Castrol syntec because of the teost test. IM just trying anything I can to combat the di issues.

Trying keeping the RPMs over 4500 for 20+ minutes every few months or so. Running premium could also help since running 87 causes enriched fuel trims that ends up getting more fuel into the oil and probably leading to more intake valve deposits from the increased oil volatility.

Here is a VW GTI intake valve:
In_8.jpg

Here is the same intake valve after a 20min run at highway speeds in lower gear to keep RPMs up:
RB_2_15.jpg

Last edited:
Buy yourself a jug or Renewable Lubricants full system cleaner its available on amazon and just use that more economical then other products.

And its approved for constant use, Try higher octane to prevent knocking.

When I was at Hyundai I asked them if running a higher octane would help and they said never run anything but 87 octane in my car because the higher octane can cause more carbon on the intake. But that's coming from the same people that charged me 120.00 bucks to do the bg44 cleaning and then two days later said sorry theres nothing they can do.

They did lie to you ...

Higher octane usually have more cleaning agents.
It will not cause more carbon deposits not possible ... Its the opposite.

If your car pings now with 87 go premium and let us know if it stopped pinging ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back