Anyone interested in the Elio?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously more information is needed, but it sounds like just the ticket for me - I only use my car for commuting, so small and good fuel economy is what I'm after.

Yes, I have been following them. Will be interesting to see how quickly they get them on the road. They say they can be driven year round. We will see if "real world" conditions are too much for the Elio (im thinking winter driving conditions).

The U. S. has needed a small ultra-high mileage commuter car luke this for a long time.

Quote:

Yes it’s true. We are partnering with Pep Boys (Yes THAT Pep Boys) to be the official Elio service center.

He is something to damper the enthusiasm.... j/k.

They are neat and I have been following them. I would love to have a commuter that got that type of mileage!

I do not see it happening, unfortunately.

It wouldn't work for me because, although I do commute in the car I drive, I very often do other things with it as well. I have a set of golf clubs in the back of my CR-V today, because a couple of us are playing after work. I sometimes go to the hardware store on the way home and I wouldn't be able to fit much in the back of an Elio. I often toss a bicycle or lawn mower in the back of the car and go ride or mow. Heck, I found full-size sedans to be too limiting for me, let alone a 3-wheeler, and switched to something with a liftgate.

If I had an Elio, it could be used only for a commute to-and-from work, and I'd probably spend more time on the road in the end because I'd have to go home to get my other car to run the errands or do the things that I couldn't do in the Elio.

It's one of the reasons I don't have a motorcycle. I don't have the desire to have that much money tied up into a limited-use vehicle.

Yep, I'm watching as well.

Something like this would fill the void between my motorcycle and my pickup truck perfectly.

If it looks like it will make it into production, I'll buy one of these, and delay the replacement of my Silverado (with a new Canyon) by a few years.

It's interesting, but like others, kinda limiting. 3-4 days a week I pick up the kids on the way home. On the weekends I generally want to drive the truck, as I have stuff to move around.

As a vehicle that gets driving once/twice a week, maybe gets used when one is being worked on / in the shop... Maybe.

I guess if we only had one kid, it could work for me. Mostly I go home after work with the odd stop at the grocery store on the way.
I do wonder how it would go in a snow storm when there is two tire ruts? With a skinny enough rear snow tire I guess it could act as a rudder in the deeper snow or slush, but it would have to be even thinner than a 155/80R13 to work well.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I guess if we only had one kid, it could work for me. Mostly I go home after work with the odd stop at the grocery store on the way.
I do wonder how it would go in a snow storm when there is two tire ruts? With a skinny enough rear snow tire I guess it could act as a rudder in the deeper snow or slush, but it would have to be even thinner than a 155/80R13 to work well.

I'd think of it more as between motorcycle and car. 3 season instead of 1. [Yeah I know the guys down south ride year 'round. Up here, where summer is about a week long, not so much.] And perhaps as the N+1 vehicle, replacing a backup beater, albeit perhaps what you motor around because it's cheap to run when you don't need to move anything other than yourself.

Seems like a very reasonable price for what you get. Seems like a somewhat niche product though, kind of like Smart cars (which is a whole other topic, why isn't the smartcar's mileage much better than it is??).

I don't think I'd trade my commuter motorcycle for it though. I ride a bike since I can park it anywhere.

I am moderately interested, but if it doesn't return the projected fuel economy numbers I would be unlikely to purchase one.

Originally Posted By: Mykl
I am moderately interested, but if it doesn't return the projected fuel economy numbers I would be unlikely to purchase one.

It does have a simple motor I believe, no VVT or other mileage tricks. I wonder if they can put simple pre-emmisions diesel in it as it is a motorcycle? Perhaps there is a loop hole there?
I'm sure someone will put a 40hp kubota diesel in one, in a non-inspection state and get 100+mpg out of it.

It does have a simple motor I believe, no VVT or other mileage tricks. I wonder if they can put simple pre-emmisions diesel in it as it is a motorcycle? Perhaps there is a loop hole there?
I'm sure someone will put a 40hp kubota diesel in one, in a non-inspection state and get 100+mpg out of it.

That would be pretty sweet, but if I could choose any engine for this thing it would be Ford's 3-cyl Ecoboost that's getting put in the Fiesta. While there would probably be a bit of a fuel economy hit, the extra horsepower would inject a lot of fun into it.

But as it sits, with the horsepower it has, in order for me to take the acceleration hit over the GTI it would have to save me a fair amount of money. At 84 mpg it could save me enough to get me to test drive one to see if I liked it enough.

I'm a bit skeptical that they will ever produce these cars in large numbers. I'm going to wait to see if they actually start producing them before I get any money in the game.

Originally Posted By: Mykl

That would be pretty sweet, but if I could choose any engine for this thing it would be Ford's 3-cyl Ecoboost that's getting put in the Fiesta. While there would probably be a bit of a fuel economy hit, the extra horsepower would inject a lot of fun into it.

But as it sits, with the horsepower it has, in order for me to take the acceleration hit over the GTI it would have to save me a fair amount of money. At 84 mpg it could save me enough to get me to test drive one to see if I liked it enough.

+1 A car this light (I'm guessing it must be very light) with that 1L Ecoboost would be a rocket ship. Not sure how it would take the corners, but it sure would be fun in a straight line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back