Any benefit in using Shell V-Power?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use Shell fuel when possible, its what was in the tank when I had my carb jetted and set up on the rolling road of a respected engine builder. He recommended always using higher octane fuel and although the car runs on normal fuel the idle is choppier and throttle response isn't as sharp. Might be a placebo but I can definitely feel a smoother torquier engine with v-power in the tank. Ymmv.

Unless the car says "under penalty of death, do not use anything less than premium" in the owner's manual, I routinely put regular gas in in. All my cars are 200K+

Run the octane the manufacture requires, and buy from high volume stations with clean tanks. Usually whoever is cheapest.

I don't buy into fuel marketing.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Unless the car says "under penalty of death, do not use anything less than premium" in the owner's manual, I routinely put regular gas in in. All my cars are 200K+

Back in the day before modern computer controlled engines that would be a good way to burn a piston. With the event of EFI and knock sensors you can get away with it.

If a high compression engine requires 91 say and you fuel with 87 it just retards timing until pre ignition stops. Most modern cars have multiple programs in the ECU for just that.

On the flip side you won't get all the advertised HP or mileage, sometimes this is noticeable sometimes its not. Depends on the set up and how much timing has to be retarded.

Something like my uncles custom race motor will barely run on 93 and since its carbed it will just ping and be all sorts of un happy. He typically runs 108-113 octane. Now his wife's Acura doesn't care if its 93 or 87. Computers are wonderful.

The GTI gets V-Power because a Shell station is the most convenient place to fuel up the car between work and home. I'd still probably go down the "Top Tier" path because others have reported that the fuel system can be finicky. My car has shown the best fuel economy on Chevron gas in the past, but I'd have to go out of my way to get it.

The Camry gets the cheapest 87 I can find.

I have never had a fuel related issue with any car I've ever owned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back