Long QT syndrome?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone ever heard of or experienced this?

Through a recent genetic test in relation to my daughters disability (autism), it was found that both my daughter and I have type #6 of this condition. My understanding from the cardiologist is that it causes a delay in bottom ventricle of the heart relaxing itself after it contracts to pump blood. This delay could result in irregular heart rhythm and if left untreated over time could cause a number of problems including sudden death. This obviously has me nervous.

For the moment my daughter has undergone an EKG today and is currently wearing a halter until tomorrow afternoon. She is being put on medication as well as more tests in the next couple months. I still have to find a cardio gist and make an appt for myself.

Last edited:
I've heard of it, and pretty much sums up what you said. Can cause sudden cardiac arrest. From what I know, it's usually genetic, and iirc it's a recessive trait, which means you and your wife are both carriers, though she may not have the active condition. I'm so sorry to hear this, I hope everything goes well for you guys. You and your daughter have my best wishes.

QT interval is the most critical part of an EKG. If it is inverted or prolonged it can cause severe cardiac problems especially at a later age when the heart muscle gets weaker! Its already taking a long time emptying but with age it progressly gets worse. Definitely find a good cardiologist and make sure she keeps taking her meds(Digoxin and Amiodorone are two great drugs for this)

Good luck to you guys!

Its good to find this out, as some medications can exacerbate the condition and cause v- tach/v-fib( sudden death).It can be and inherited condition or it can be due to a dilated cardiomyopathy( weakening of the heart muscle ) Beta blocker medications are a first line treatment depending on how severe the long q-t interval is. Also you don't want your K+ levels to get low with this condition. Ultimately if its deemed a problem an ICD (Implanted cardiac defibrillator) implant is a backup.

I've always felt that all teens should have a 12 lead ekg especially prior to sports , as sometimes the first symptom is collapsing and sudden death.

Last edited:
Thanks for the thoughts/ extra info guys. Ours is inherited, hers comes from me. I'm not sure where I inherited it from. My mom will be tested, my dad has already passed away a few years ago. If my mom tests positive I have brothers and other family that also needs to be tested.

Before getting too concerned(for yourself)that is, find that cardiologist and have an EKG done. Any family history of sudden cardiac death? Have you ever passed out?

You said your daughter was placed on medication so I'm assuming her EKG showed a long QT interval.--sorry to hear that.
Someone here recommended Amiodarone: that is the last antiarrhythmic drug I would want to see a young person on due to its long term side effects. Though it does posses class II Vaughan Williams properties i.e., you can call it a beta blocker, it would be more efficacious to use a pure class II agent.

If it is determined that you are at sufficient risk for sudden cardiac death the best measure by far is to have an ICD implanted that will rescue you from the most serious implication of having a prolonged QT. You will still need medication also.

This will be easy for me to say because it is hypothetical to me, I appreciate that but I will say it anyway. You/ your daughter are not any more ill than before you had this information. People often feel so much more ill after news like this but what you really have now is power; Power to alter a trajectory. A better chance to be around for future decades so you can worry about silly things like oil viscosity.

Good luck to yourself and I'm very sorry to hear about your daughter.

She is on Nadolol, a beta blocker I'm told. I'm not worried about keeling over and dying tomorrow, but I'm trying to remember an episode in my last 32 years that shows symptoms and I can't remember any. I will however, schedule an appt with a cardiologist for myself. I'm not real worried but this is not something I want to [censored] around with either.

I've never passed out, 2 family members on my moms side passed from sudden cardiac death ruled as cardiac arrest. Heart problems all around on my moms side, I just always associated that with smoking.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 97f150
I'm not real worried but this is not something I want to [censored] around with either.

Yeah I wouldn't either. This sort of thing isn't a problem until its a problem.

Originally Posted By: 97f150
I have an appt with a cardiologist tomorrow. So we will see where this goes.

I wish you the best. You are wise to do this and take advantage of the knowledge of the inherited condition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back