Does this tyre kicked the bucket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone; over the weekend I drove my car into an open manhole at about 80 to 90 kph, I didn't lose control but the tyre quickly deflated, I pulled over, put the spare wheel and drove home.

Yesterday I inspected the wheel and found that the rim was out of round, a neighbor send me to a repair shop that repaired his car.

On the repair shop they dismounted the tyre and the rim had a hairline crack around the spot were it was bent. I thought that the rim was toasted but they told me that they could repair it. I give them the benefit of the doubt and told them to go ahead. They told me that the repair will take until Thursday, so I will have to wait until then to pass judgement on the repair. Sorry for the lack of pics but I forgot my phone!!!

Today I was looking at the tire and the only apparent damage that it has is in the inside of the tyre. If you bend the tyre you can see that is a "cut" of sorts and you can see some broken wire, I don't know it it is metallic or nylon but you can clearly see on the third photo as five small brown dots.

The tyre is a Continental Contisportcontact 2 195/55R16

20ro081.jpg

6nxu1d.jpg

71qmhk.jpg

The obvious question is: is this tyre still serviceable???

Originally Posted By: Chris142
junk! i would not run a repaired rim either. we have laws against that here

never heard of it. Can you post this law or a link to it?

DEPENDING on the TYPE of damage a repaired rim can be as good as new.

On-topic: That tire is ready for use... as a tire swing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Take the tire out of service, not repairable damage.

+1 inner liner is punctured. You will have a sidewall bulge at best. Blowout possible.

I never heard of any laws either, maybe is something a tire shop will do to avoid lawsuits, anyway the rim is in repair and I really don't have many hopes for it either, but we will see.

Now, what do I do with the tire? I'm too old (and fat) for the swing set, but I would like to see if I can make something like this:

recycle-tire-designrulz-18.jpg

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
It is unusable.

Why was there an open manhole?

Most probably was stolen to be sold as scrap metal

Originally Posted By: Darwin1138
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
It is unusable.

Why was there an open manhole?

Most probably was stolen to be sold as scrap metal

I'm going to second that one.

There was a ring of people around here that was stealing manhole covers for a while. The scrap yards let them do it, too.

More than once I almost caught an open manhole cover.

I would also recommend getting the alignment and front suspension checked.

Scrap yards here need a copy of your photo ID and a most require a finger print in case of stolen ID's. It's a sad world when people are stealing manhole covers to get $0.10/lb on a good day. I had $30k worth of new copper pipe stolen from one of our jobs by people like that, in a public place on a university campus full of security lights.

Anyway, that tire is shot, you've got at a minimum a broken cord and it will fail if driven on.

Put that welded wheel at back and keep good watch on it.If you encounter any judder,air leak replace it immediately.Toss the tyre.

I went to pick up the repaired rim and the repair was really awful. Their philosophy is that it is a "cosmetic repair" not a functional one, if you look at the rim from the front you can hardly tell where the damage was (near the valve), but when you look at the rim form any other angle it is awful. It can not be balanced even with more than 6 oz in one side. I don't know why they think that body filler is a suitable material for fixing a fracture in a load bearing part made of aluminium.

Now I have to get a new rim, I don't know if I can get it in a reasonable amount of time but if I cannot get a replacement aluminium rim, then I will get a steel one, like the spare tire, and will channel Walter White for a while.

Now the pics of the rim

j5jkly.jpg

2qx84te.jpg

2uelkl3.jpg

2n1hpjm.jpg

f2m23c.jpg

55j893.jpg

k48fhw.jpg

This doesn't look good mate,and this OEM wheels are quite expensive.Is this Pug 307 wheel?You should really call caps when you hit that hole.

Don't know what's available down in Mexico City, but up here, these guys do a great job:

http://www.wheelcollision.com/

They heat treat, straighten and refinish wheels for about half the price of new...I've bought 5 or 6 wheels from them over the years. All were great, have over 60K in service on each one with zero issues, except that the new finish looks better than the old finish...

Might have to get another factory wheel for the MB S600 after a pothole in NYC last month...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back