Amsoil 0W-30 41K OCI w/bypass filter Honda S2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the latest UOA on my '03 Honda S2000 taken with 313,000 miles on the engine and just short of a 41K OCI. I'm using Amsoil Signature Series 0W-30 oil with an Amsoil Dual Remote bypass filter (EaBP-90) and an electric prelube pump: I switch the pump on and get full oil pressure before each time I start the car. The car still runs great. These are mostly highway miles.

I haven't done anything to the engine since the last oil change except change the PCV valve, add oil and change the oil and air filters. I'm not sure why the lead is ticking up but the other bearing metals are staying low. I have not used any fuel or oil additives.

Your pre lube pump shows hope much startup wear occurs in other vehicles. Part of the picture is the stellar Honda engine. Thanks for posting.

I noticed you're makeup oil is up to 11 quarts, but 1 quart per 3700 miles ain't too bad for a 300k motor. With the bearings showing material and consumption going up I am interested in seeing future report.

You've been posting your s2k bypass results for a few years now IIRC? Is your oil usage going up @ 11 quarts, or is the OCI just longer?

Either way, stellar report as usual those bypass oiling systems are fantastic.

Wow, looking great!

I wonder which makes more difference in reducing wear numbers... the bypass setup or the preoiler?

Interesting that you oil consumption went up quite a bit at around 190kmi.

Yeah, my oil consumption has increased over the years, but I'm not sure it's wear. I changed the PCV valve, hoping that would help but it didn't. I have some slight weeping from some of my fittings in the bypass plumbing but not enough to cause any drips on the garage floor. The car still starts and runs like new.

I'm thinking about replacing the valve stem seals sometime in the future to see if that helps....

Would be interesting to see some compression and leak down test results, I've seen some Honda engines with 200kmi+ post better than new leak down numbers.

Last edited:
41k that's awesome!! Great report
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: heynow
Would be interesting to see some compression and leak down test results, I've seen some Honda engines with 200kmi+ post better than new leak down numbers.

They regenerate the cylinder walls and piston rings? That's pretty advanced!!
wink.gif

In all seriousness though, it just might be the rings. Lots of cruising at ~4500-5000 rpm for 313K miles is a whole lotta ring lapping- not even accounting for the 9K pulls. High nickel bore liner vs piston rings, the bore usually wins. If you pulled the head off, I would NOT be surprised to see original crosshatching on the bores
wink.gif

I'm interested in seeing how long you can push this engine before a rebuilt is in order. I'd hate to see this thing on the street with a black cloud of smoke outta the exhaust pipe...

Just for kicks, I'd go back to the oil you were using previously that didn't have the Moly and Boron in it. It seems that when those two amounts changed, your consumption almost doubled. Of course, it could just be coincidence.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
Just for kicks, I'd go back to the oil you were using previously that didn't have the Moly and Boron in it. It seems that when those two amounts changed, your consumption almost doubled. Of course, it could just be coincidence.

I can't go back. I was using Amsoil SSO which was replaced with AZO. They don't make SSO, otherwise i'd still be using it.

Artem - at a rate of a little less than one quart per 4000 miles my S2000is burning less oil than most AP1 engines. If it ever gets to puffing clouds of blue smoke, it would be time for a new engine.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar

I had ridiculous consumption with this oil as well; literally 3-4x the rate of M1 AFE 0w-30 FWIW. I had to stop using it for that reason.

from my experience, when you stop consumption you'll introduce elevated viscosity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back