Redline vs Motul for older Mercedes-Benz V8?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was using the Redline 5W-20 before they had the 0W-xx line.
Different vehicle than I have now.
Compared to Mobil 1 5W-20 at the time, the Redline was thicker at start-up in Cold Wisconsin winter as compared to the Mobil 1 5W-20.
This was noted by the slightly slower turn-over with the Redline vs Mobil 1.
NOTE that I am comparing the Mobil 1 from a few years ago.
CATERHAM's explanations in the past educated me as to why.
2 oils, same 5W-20, but we need to look beyond that, and beyond the HTHS.
Times change, products change, which is why we are here, to learn and adjust (if need be) to the new products and information available.

The question that I would like to add to the learing here.
In cold weather, short trips.
Which oil will have more resistance to the ill effects of fuel moisture, fuel dilution, and other things that take place in cold weather short trip driving?
While xW-40 is outside the specifications of my particular application, I don't want to off topic us from his application.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

The RL 0W-40 base oil VI is at least 166.
A typical GP III base oil is no higher than 120

How many 0w-40 oils do you know that have VI of no higher than 120?

Heck, even a synthetic blend Rotella T5 0w-40 has a VI of 182.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

While it has the SB name, I think it's a group III. They use the word synthetic technology a lot...

"Rotella T SB 100% Synthetic 0W-40"

Last edited:

Yeah, Im not convinced that my question was answered. Nothing against CATERHAM, jut have to think about it.

The question was about the VI of the base oil not the resultant VI of the end product including VIIs.
My point about RL 0W-40 was that it doesn't use a lot of VII to acheive it's 197 VI since the natural VI of its base oils is so high to start with.

BTW, I like the full syn version of the Rotella T5 0W-40 as it is an excellent value in my neck of the woods. Of course we don't know the exact chemistry, likely mostly GP III, and therefore probabily a fair amount of VIIs.

Originally Posted By: dparm
The president of Renewable Lube actually told me all their 0wX oils require some PAO to achieve the cold temp performance. Fuchs/Silkolene has told me the same thing too.

They have ALL told me this same thing, with the exception of Motul who again, would not own up to anything, save for the "double ester" marketing line.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: wiswind
The question that I would like to add to the learing here.
In cold weather, short trips.
Which oil will have more resistance to the ill effects of fuel moisture, fuel dilution, and other things that take place in cold weather short trip driving?

I would also like to add a question about the above conditions;

Does cold weather/short trip/little warm up have a more adverse effect (possible shear, dilution, etc.) on oils with added VIIs (even very little of the BEST ones available), than on naturally high VI basestock grp. 4/5, without ANY added VIIs???
21.gif

Update: I just changed the oil and used eight containers of Redline 0W40. Let's hope this is the right oil for my old Mercedes-Benz. It will likely see some 10F cold starts this winter!

Honestly I don't think there's anything to be gained over M1 0W-40. RL is definitely overkill.

Word on the street is that these old Mercedes-Benz M119 V8s like oils with plenty of moly. How does the moly content of M1 0W-40 compare to Redline 0W-40 or 10W-40?

Originally Posted By: lim
Hello again RM,

Motul have 4 solutions for your vehicle. The complete list of M-B Approved lubricants is here

Regards, lim

Fair point although I wonder if there are some non-approved oils that give better wear protection at the expense of emissions equipment life, i.e. with more ZDDP, moly, etc?

My engine still shows very strong oil pressure but with over 100k miles on it the bearing tolerance are likely starting to open up a bit so using a really thin oil worries me a bit.

Are any of the 5W or 10W - 40 oils known to be very robust with lots of anti-wear additives rather than being modern SAE / OE-approved oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back