Recalls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vikas
+1

I thought this should have been obvious to both Overkill and Hatters; I was really disappointed that they missed such a simple concept. Shape up guys :)

Easy now, LOL
smile.gif

Do you think the media does the math though? This goes back to my point about you not hearing about it. 3.2 million vehicles recalled sounds a lot more "HOLY FLYING DUCK DROPPINGS" than 500K, even if they represent an equal percentage of each manufacturer's production. It is always spun and this is why the lower volume manufacturers, who, as Hoki noted, are likely recalling the same amount of vehicles on average, don't make the news. There isn't the same "HOLY SWEET BABY JESUS THESE CARS ARE BOMBS ON WHEELS!" when Rolls Royce recalls 1,000 cars vs say Ford recalling 1.2 million
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Vikas
+1

I thought this should have been obvious to both Overkill and Hatters; I was really disappointed that they missed such a simple concept. Shape up guys :)

Well I was trying to get their in my first post LOL!. CNN doesn't really care about a few burning Ferrari 458's so they don't report it, its not news. Now a big GM or Toyota recall is news, especially GM for political reasons we won't go into on this forum.

Millions of cars recalled makes for a nice headline.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I'd wager that the numbers of vehicles recalled, when baselined against total production numbers, will reveal that most auto makers are likely within a stone's throw of each other (averaged out over many years). In this case, a "big recall" for BMW might be 500,000 cars, but their entire 2012 production was only 1.8m vehicles. Toyota produced over 10m vehicles in 2012 (five times as many). A 500,000 vehicle recall to BMW, when baselined to total production, is like a 2.5m vehicle recall for Toyota.

We could get into the merits and demerits of large-or-small production numbers, but that's a different discussion altogether. Still, you can't compare recall numbers (or any other similar metric) without baselining it to production. It's a "per capita" type measure.

Something I mentioned frequently in the GM threads and others.

Odds are whoever makes the most cars will have the most recalls.

So boutique and smaller volume producers have no fodder for headlines, but Gubmint Motors...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back