Switching from State Farm to Geico insurance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: xBa380
I decided to switch to Geico today... I figured it was worth a try... Never know until you do.

It will be interesting to see what your Geico rates are a couple of years from now. Some insurance companies will raise rates just because they know most people just simply sign their name to the check without every doing a comparison shop.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

Turns out they count not just tickets, but no point incidents as the same as tickets too, and I end up going into a different bracket for that reason. The scary thing is you can do traffic school for point violation but those no point thing? you can't do anything about it.

Yes that was our experience, but they still came out cheaper than the next cheapest in the state.

What annoys me is that they were actually kind of amazed, as I guess the dont see a lot in the super low risk tier that we are in. They said all how were in this low risk tier but just had the smudge bc of a cellphone no point ticket from 4 years ago. Well, 6 months has gone by since we went to geico - that one and only risk is that much further away, right? Well our rate went up $9.

I'll be calling to complain.

I've had Geico ever since I went off my parents insurance as a late-teen. Never filed a claim, though. On occasion I would cross-shop to check prices again over the years - no one could beat them, so I've been happy to stay with them all this time.

Also picked up renter's insurance through their affiliate a few years ago.

Even if they raise my rate after 6-months by $50, I am still saving $100 or so... So I am not worried about it right now. I have a flawless driving record, so nothing should affect my rate drastically. Never pulled over, never an accident and excellent credit score (if that matters).

We will see... It is worth the risk I suppose. Can always shop around again if need be.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
They said all how were in this low risk tier but just had the smudge bc of a cellphone no point ticket from 4 years ago.

What was the other ticket for? Around here I believe there has to be another reason for pulling you over other than being on a cell phone. For instance, speed, red light violation etc.

Originally Posted By: xBa380
Even if they raise my rate after 6-months by $50, I am still saving $100 or so... So I am not worried about it right now. I have a flawless driving record, so nothing should affect my rate drastically. Never pulled over, never an accident and excellent credit score (if that matters).

Yes, SF seems to be the lowest in the CLE area. Some of my friends have them with no complaints. My issue with them is how they pulled out of the hardest hit areas after Hurricane Katrina and wouldn't pay claims out until they were legally forced to. That just sickens me. I know a few people that won't do business with them because of that.

State Farm is *terribly* high in Cleveland... Might be lower in the Cleveland "area" though. If I moved up the street outside of the Cleveland limits (literally, 10 minute walk from here) my rates would drop by 20-25%. But because I am a male living in the city of Cleveland, it is high. Nothing they can do... I had a long chat with them about that (State Farm).

Almost every insurance company I quoted aside from Progressive was cheaper. Some by only $40-50, others by $100... Then Geico at $150+.

My dad is not considering a switch as well after he sees how my first renewal goes with them... He currently pays like $700 on two vehicles and Geico quoted $375 for the same/better coverage on both. Of course, he thinks it is nothing but a bait/switch, so I told him let me be the test subject and lets see how much it goes up after 6-months... He just has a hard time believing they can be THAT much less.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
They said all how were in this low risk tier but just had the smudge bc of a cellphone no point ticket from 4 years ago.

What was the other ticket for? Around here I believe there has to be another reason for pulling you over other than being on a cell phone. For instance, speed, red light violation etc.

Nope, no other ticket. Cellphone use in car illegal w/o hands free.

I dont care as much about that as I do the fact that it was supposed to be no point, no record, and obviously it ends up on some record someplace and turns into a pricing structure thing.

Of course it is the right way to do things techically from an insurance standpoint... pricing on risk. Thing is, she learned her lesson and hasnt gotten any tickets since (4.5 years), and hasnt gotten any others ever. Risk? LOL.

Alot to be said for being able to walk in, sit down, shake hands and talk to my agent 5 days a week. Yes i know i can get insurance cheaper elsewhere, but its a simple matter of choice and what makes you feel good. I think you get what you pay for one way or another.

Originally Posted By: HardbodyLoyalist
Those of you singing the praises of State Farm need to keep a few things in mind:

They only use OEM parts because they were sued (and lost) to the tune of $730 million by their own policyholders for using aftermarket parts:

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-3480_162-65628.html

And they've done much, much worse:

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2005/12/27/193983.html

NO insurance company has your best interests at heart.

Interesting...

I wonder if Ohio has cleaned up their titling laws? NC and other states had similar titling issues. I know that NC has gone over the top with vehicle titles now. Our 2000 GC was totaled by State farm several years ago. I bought it back and had it rebuilt by a local body shop. We've since put over 100K miles on it without problems, but State farm increased our insurance over 30% on it since then. And it does have a salvage title now.

Wayne

Bringing this subject up again: I have been with AAA for almost 15 years, no accidents or tickets, etc. Safe driver, old enough for AARP. Their most recent 6-month quote is $785. This is something like twice what they charged me in the pre-Katrina days. I've been okay with it -- but it keeps surging up and up every period.

So I called State Farm. Only a $10 savings there for the same coverage I have with AAA -- I read them off the exact figures from the AAA renewal sheet.

GEICO: $601!!! And yes, they have a local office in the suburbs.

It seems the reviews on GEICO in this thread were mixed, but mostly positive -- but that was 9 months ago. Anybody have any new experiences, pro or con?

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
Since you are in Ohio, you might want to try getting a quote from Erie. Not only are they a quality company with excellent service, they are extremely competitive. I shop insurance every 2 years, and the last time that I got a quote from a State Farm agent, not only couldn't he come close to my current rate, but he even admitted that he carried his own personal home and auto through Erie.

I switched from GEICO to Erie a few years ago, and yes Erie is cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back