Michelin LTX M/S2 or X Radial LT2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a new set of tires for my wife's 2005 Honda Pilot. We have anew Costco and they have really good pricing on a couple Michelin models. A set of 4 X Radial LT2 is $450, plus $60 for installation and disposal. The LTX M/S2 set is $590 plus $60 installation. Both prices include $70 in rebates from Michelin. Costco includes five years of roadside assistance on all tires they sell. Living in Wisconsin, snow traction is important to me. Thoughts??

Our last 3 sets of tires have been purchased from Costco. Best prices I've been able to find and the service was superior to what I've gotten at dedicated tire shops. We also have the executive membership which gives you an additional 2% back at the end of your membership year. I'm very happy with them.

x-radials are fine tires, good grip on snow/rain

I had 3 sets on them, good wear on them too.
Cons: noisy when worn a bit, snow traction was not that great when worn down to 1/2 or more

The LTX M/S2 is amazing in snow, and second only to the Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor from my experience as far as AT tires go.

If the extra money is worth it for the added snow traction, go with the LTX M/S2 for sure.

My understanding is that the two are very similar, but the X-Radial LT2 is a model that is made for warehouse clubs.

naturally, this means you'll be bound to Costco for any warranty claims/adjustments, but I would not hesitate to save the difference.

Michelin's "house-brand" tires are much better than Goodyear's, so I would not be concerned.

And as the others mentioned, Costco's tire shop is significantly better than America's Tire in terms of care to the vehicle, and taking the time to properly do the job (versus playing NASCAR pit crew at DT/America's Tire).

Last edited:
I had a set of LTX M/S2 tires on my 4Runner for something close to 80k miles. They were extremely good.

If I remember correctly, the two share construction but there is extra siping and a slightly different tread pattern on the MS2s.

Either should be great. My MS2s are excellent but the cost difference is hard to pass up.

I never found the wet or snow traction of the set of LTX's that I had, to be anything better than average, at the most... especially considering what I paid for them.

My neighbor bought a set last fall, and he agrees with me. This past winter, he broke down and put weight in the back of his truck, for the first time ever, to try and get some of his lost traction back.

My opinion... they're over-hyped a bit.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
The LTX M/S2 is amazing in snow, and second only to the Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor from my experience as far as AT tires go.

If the extra money is worth it for the added snow traction, go with the LTX M/S2 for sure.

Agreed, I've found both of the above to be excellent in snow. We have the MS2's on the Expedition currently and they've pawed through extremely deep snow with ease and their traction on ice is amazing for an all season tire!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I never found the wet or snow traction of the set of LTX's that I had, to be anything better than average, at the most... especially considering what I paid for them.

My neighbor bought a set last fall, and he agrees with me. This past winter, he broke down and put weight in the back of his truck, for the first time ever, to try and get some of his lost traction back.

My opinion... they're over-hyped a bit.

I think I'm in the same boat. Might be a great all season, but IMO not a snow tire. I did not try out the OEM's on my truck in the snow, but I suspect them, these, and any other all season are "about" the same.

I haven't decided what I will do for winter. I "trust" the LTX's for light stuff, but am debating if I want to find a set of cheapo snows for Jan/Feb/Mar, when we have the worst snow. Or maybe just tire cables, as it's rarely a problem more than every other week.

But supposedly they are good for 70k. We'll see if they make it that long; if they do, then perhaps they are worth the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back