2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 5k on 0w20 oil. Should I

Status
Not open for further replies.
5000 miles into this oil change interval with Toyota 0w20, can I still tow a 7000lbs trailer 1100 miles? Or should I change oil?

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Go ahead. The truck is made for pulling and your only halfway thru the interval.
You don't need new oil to tow.

Carry on.

This! + I would be more cautious of the trans fluid condition than the motor oil.

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
If you plan on keeping the truck until Armegedon I'd change it!

If the oil isn't up to that trip, then the OP should change brands of oil.

Originally Posted By: Ram01
Go 5w30 if you going to tow

+1 or M1 0W-40. Towing in the full heat of summer can be tough on oil...and 7000 lbs is significant. You may be OK with the 0W-20, but I would never even think of towing with that. M1 15W-50 was my "go to" towing oil.

I'm going to be giving a few people a ride in my Focus next week. I think I should probably dump the left over 85w140 in the engine for "extra protection". Maybe some of the SAE200 that was linked to me for my bad differential .....

The truck will be fine on 0w-20.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I'm going to be giving a few people a ride in my Focus next week. I think I should probably dump the left over 85w140 in the engine for "extra protection". Maybe some of the SAE200 that was linked to me for my bad differential .....

The truck will be fine on 0w-20.

Adding a few people to your econobox is not exactly dragging 7000 lbs in the heat of California summer. IIRC - doesn't Toyota recommend a thicker oil when towing? If 0W-20 worked in every application, they wouldn't make thicker oil.

I was browsing the OM for the 2012 tundra; a cursory look reveals no mention of using thicker oil for towing. They do mention reducing the OCI if using under severe conditions, which towing is included.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I was browsing the OM for the 2012 tundra; a cursory look reveals no mention of using thicker oil for towing. They do mention reducing the OCI if using under severe conditions, which towing is included.

They have tested it, overloaded, in sever heat on 0w-20. It will be fine towing with the 0w-20

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Change it afterward. That'll put you in the severe service.

That's what I would do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back