Recalls

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't noticed any German car companies having recalls like the American and Japanese..... Can't say I've heard of Hyundai having any either. Anyone else notice this?

Originally Posted By: hypervish
They just did today: http://en.itar-tass.com/economy/737442

Interesting link:

Quote:
LONDON, June 23. /ITAR-TASS/. German car giant BMW intends to recall over 100,000 cars worldwide due to failure in the system of airbags produced by Japanese company Takata, Reuters news agency reports.
The issue has been found in all vehicles produced from 2002.
The company’s experts believe the system may inflate by itself, in particular, in countries with a humid climate, due to poorly protected contacts. At risk are all vehicles of the E46 3-series generation produced between 2002 and 2006.
Earlier this week, Honda and Toyota announced about the recall of nearly 3 million cars due failure of airbags produced by the same manufacturer.
The last time BMW recalled cars in autumn and winter of 2013. Thus, October 1, 2013, about 176,000 vehicles were recalled due to a break system failure. The case in hand was disrepair of the distribution shaft, which may lead to a partial failure of the brake booster.

The part that failed wasn't German, and Honda and Toyota both had massive recalls for airbags from the same manufacturer!
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
They just did today: http://en.itar-tass.com/economy/737442

Interesting link:

Quote:
LONDON, June 23. /ITAR-TASS/. German car giant BMW intends to recall over 100,000 cars worldwide due to failure in the system of airbags produced by Japanese company Takata, Reuters news agency reports.
The issue has been found in all vehicles produced from 2002.
The company’s experts believe the system may inflate by itself, in particular, in countries with a humid climate, due to poorly protected contacts. At risk are all vehicles of the E46 3-series generation produced between 2002 and 2006.
Earlier this week, Honda and Toyota announced about the recall of nearly 3 million cars due failure of airbags produced by the same manufacturer.
The last time BMW recalled cars in autumn and winter of 2013. Thus, October 1, 2013, about 176,000 vehicles were recalled due to a break system failure. The case in hand was disrepair of the distribution shaft, which may lead to a partial failure of the brake booster.

The part that failed wasn't German, and Honda and Toyota both had massive recalls for airbags from the same manufacturer!
lol.gif

Yes, we established that in another thread. The point isn't whose fault the recall was, it's the fact that there was a recall.

Although I'm one of the few who appreciate recalls.

True, but it isn't a very large recall either. In the wake of multi-million vehicle recalls from seemingly everybody else, recalling 100,000 vehicles that are 8-12 years old does seem to sort of jive with the point the OP seemed to be digging at.

True, but it isn't a very large recall either. In the wake of multi-million vehicle recalls from seemingly everybody else, recalling 100,000 vehicles that are 8-12 years old does seem to sort of jive with the point the OP seemed to be digging at.

They did recall half million cars 2 months ago as I said earlier: http://www.autoblog.com/2014/04/11/bmw-b...cars-worldwide/

He didn't ask about how big the recall was either, it's clear that all manufactures don't get equal attention.

And, BMW has many other problems that they will not admit to fixing for FREE anyways.

The Germans don't admit to mistakes, the engineers that do screw up are probably shot.

Mercedes has a [censored] ton of TSB's and minor issues. Some are never solved, some are quietly taken care of. Like when the dealer quietly did $3k worth of work to my buddies W210 years ago for a spring perch issue and MB of North American footed the bill...should have been a recall.

The Italians are just as bad, they just go and have a two hour wine lunch and ignore the problem. I think they fixed the last burning Ferrari...but they only did that because Enzo isn't around anymore. If he were kicking your burning 458 would be YOUR fault!

You also have to remember that with low production, especially high end cars CNN doesn't really care. So they don't report it. A lot of problems are solved by the factory with owner and attorney pressure.

Last edited:

They did recall half million cars 2 months ago as I said earlier: http://www.autoblog.com/2014/04/11/bmw-b...cars-worldwide/

He didn't ask about how big the recall was either, it's clear that all manufactures don't get equal attention.

And, BMW has many other problems that they will not admit to fixing for FREE anyways.

Even half a million though, I mean compared to the 3.2 million GM just recalled, in addition to their other insanely huge recalls, just seems really insignificant. And no, he didn't ask how big the recall was but usually you don't hear much about small recalls, they don't make the news, which is certainly in-step with him not hearing about them, which was what I was driving at.

And yes, BMW, just like any other marque, fixes things under warranty that never make it to the recall stage. They also will revise parts multiple times to "get it right" once the vehicle is in production, I can think of many examples of that on my M5 where a part # was superseded multiple times by a revised part that was eventually "finalized" and doesn't fail in the manner the original part did. The HVAC blower resistor module is one part I can think of right off the top of my head. Another would be the CPS's. Not recall-worthy perhaps, but certainly issues the manufacturer became aware of and silently "fixed". Many were probably replaced while the cars were under warranty too.

Even half a million though, I mean compared to the 3.2 million GM just recalled, in addition to their other insanely huge recalls, just seems really insignificant. And no, he didn't ask how big the recall was but usually you don't hear much about small recalls, they don't make the news, which is certainly in-step with him not hearing about them, which was what I was driving at.

And yes, BMW, just like any other marque, fixes things under warranty that never make it to the recall stage. They also will revise parts multiple times to "get it right" once the vehicle is in production, I can think of many examples of that on my M5 where a part # was superseded multiple times by a revised part that was eventually "finalized" and doesn't fail in the manner the original part did. The HVAC blower resistor module is one part I can think of right off the top of my head. Another would be the CPS's. Not recall-worthy perhaps, but certainly issues the manufacturer became aware of and silently "fixed". Many were probably replaced while the cars were under warranty too.

You are right! Half million isn't much compared to that.

And, yes there are certainly parts fixed without a recall.

You are right! Half million isn't much compared to that.

And, yes there are certainly parts fixed without a recall.

cheers3.gif

Oh yes the revised part numbers, Mercedes loves that as well. They will revise part numbers and improve some parts even 10+ years after the vehicle is out of production.

But the first part was not as mistake it was perfect in every way, but the Germans being German just make them more perfect...

Quote:

The Germans don't admit to mistakes,

They do, but only if the customer complains.

"Silent recall" it a term a friend of mine learned when he bought a 96 Passat TDI.

We won't tell you something isn't right unless you do all the legwork and prove it to us that it isn't.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

BMW had some problem with 3 series cracking.

Rear subframe on the E46 IIRC.

Wife's C300 just got its second recall letter.

My BMW bike had one recall done recently as well.

All makes have recalls. Some are just more advertized/scrutinized than others.

You wanna talk about things that should have been silent recalls and or "satisfaction" programs.

The stupid cam synchronizers on Ford Vulcan engines.
The distributors and cam/crank sensors on Nissan products stretching back to the Clinton administration.

My friend who bought a '12 Fusion is learning the hard way about FoMoCo ownership. With the new Throttle body campaign, and the now infamous 6F35.

I'd wager that the numbers of vehicles recalled, when baselined against total production numbers, will reveal that most auto makers are likely within a stone's throw of each other (averaged out over many years). In this case, a "big recall" for BMW might be 500,000 cars, but their entire 2012 production was only 1.8m vehicles. Toyota produced over 10m vehicles in 2012 (five times as many). A 500,000 vehicle recall to BMW, when baselined to total production, is like a 2.5m vehicle recall for Toyota.

We could get into the merits and demerits of large-or-small production numbers, but that's a different discussion altogether. Still, you can't compare recall numbers (or any other similar metric) without baselining it to production. It's a "per capita" type measure.

+1

I thought this should have been obvious to both Overkill and Hatters; I was really disappointed that they missed such a simple concept. Shape up guys :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back