crow foot extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have called numerous places around town and the snap on guy is the only one I haven't reached yet. Nobody carries what I need here.

http://www.drivetrainamerica.com/p-20657...CFSlgMgodHmoA3A

I need a crow foot extension to torque these driveshaft bolts down at the transmission flange. There is not enough room with the ujoints in the way for me to get my torque wrench in there.

So since I can't seem to find any of these local (billings mt 59101) my question is this. They are supposed to be torqued in at 72ft lbs with locktite. Can I just go ahead and crank them in with a 3/8 breaker bar and call it good?

So frustrating when you can't find the right tool.

Last edited:
I have a 12pt 12mm swivel 3/8" impact socket for those. I get them all snug with a wrench, then a hit with the impact and never had a problem with them. As long as they are all fairly evenly tight you are good. This is a mission critical fastener, but not one like a head bolt or conrod bolt that proper torque is 100% necessary.

Sears used to stock those long-ago. Have they since discontinued those? They might not be in-store, but you can ship-to-store for free and get it in a few days.

What I have done in cases like this, where is impossible to fit the torque wrench, is to get a breaker bar and put it on a wheel nut or other bolt, and try to push it with one or two intermediate phalanges (always in the same spot), until you feel a low/moderate level of pain or pressure that you can recall, then take your torque wrench and see how far or close you are to the torque value of 72 ftlb, and then try to increase the force until the torque wrench clicks or beeps without the bolt moving.

With a little practice you can get an acceptable level of accuracy and repeatability (+- 5 ftlb) but this also depends an how well can you feel the force in your hand.

Sears, Harbor Freight, Napa, O'Reilley. Called all of them. Nobody stocks it.

I've torqued a lot of lug nuts to 100 ft lbs with my 1/2 breaker. I'm pretty sure if I put my 3/8 breaker on there and put about as much pressure on it as I can comfortably get it should be pretty close to the 70-80 ft. lb range. My 3/8 bar is pretty beefy and pretty long.

72ft lbs sounds like a lot of torque for any 3/8 drive. I would think it might be enough to break that 12mm 12 pt crow. I'd just crank em with the breaker bar and locktite, they won't be going anywhere.

Would a torque adapter work?
http://www.amazon.com/Torque-Adapter-Wre...+adapter+wrench

31yXMKRQ8bL.jpg

Doesn't matter what type of end it has I can't find anything locally. The torque adapter might work - but also can't find any of those around.

Call a motorcycle shop, the specific model I linked is used to torque the heads of Honda CR 2-stroke engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back