Amsoil EA discontinued

Status
Not open for further replies.
A sad day.

Originally Posted By: Amsoil magazine

Ea Air Filters Discontinued, Available While Supplies Last

AMSOIL Ea Air Filters (EAA) are discontinued due to declining sales and other influences from the evolving air-filter market. As vehicles have evolved, so have their filtration needs. Past model-years featured many vehicles requiring the same size air filter allowing filter manufacturers to cover many vehicles with fewer filters. Today's market, however, features many vehicles with unique filter requirements, necessitating the management of a large and growing number of filters.

The mass shift from do-it-yourself (DIY) to do-it-for-me (DIFM) has also impacted AMSOIL filter sales. AMSOIL Ea Air Filters cannot compete with the low-cost options offered by auto service centers. In addition, it is becoming increasingly more difficult and costly to secure technology that delivers performance advantages. Ea Air Filters are available while supplies last. AMSOIL continues to offer filtration products from WIX, Mann, and Donaldson.

Sucks being a small company. Had Amsoil pushed harder for shelf space, they would have sold many.

I have an EA air filter in my 98 Camry V6 and love it. Purchased it many many years ago and it still looks great. Just regular dusting is all I do to it.

cry.gif

Sad day indeed....

Last edited:
I'm sure you can still get the donaldson version anyway. Amsoil didn't make a unique product.

What I always wondered about is why Amsoil did away with their pre-oiler? Since a significant amount of wear occurs at startup, a pre-oiler seems like something that can maximize the engine's life; and if that's what Amsoil is about, it should still be available.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
I'm sure you can still get the donaldson version anyway. Amsoil didn't make a unique product.

Its Donaldson technology, but not Donaldson filters.

The elephant in the room is, how long can these co last with their niche mkt products? The big boys now have oils that can be stretched to yearly oci. How long can Amsoil, RP and others hold on?

Last edited:
I think they will do ok. Amsoil sells the heck out of gear and tranny lubes. Plus there's a good many shops that use amsoil as their oil change services like my shop

Originally Posted By: wemay
The elephant in the room is, how long can these co last with their niche mkt products? The big boys now have oils that can be stretched to yearly oci. How long can Amsoil, RP and others hold on?

+1.....IMO,The top-shelf oils (M-1, PP, M-1EP, Castrol Edge,PU) are priced so well that its hard to understand how Amsoil can continue, especially with their marketing program.

Most, if not all of the oils above, are IMO, as good as any Amsoil oil, have long OCI's (10K +), and can be easily obtained at great prices at Walmart.

When you can purchase a 15K filter such as the Fram Ultra, with high efficiency and a price under $9 at WM, why would anyone pay so much more for oil and filters that are at best equal.

But, there are always those who think that paying more equals better quality, which IMO is not the case here.

Got any proof that these other oils are as good or better? Not saying they aren't but where's the proof. Yeah some may be but some target oils such as the high zinc racing oils etc can't always be obtained at Walmart.

I don't pay more for amsoil because I THINK it's better cause I pay more. I use it cause I can buy it for roughly the same price for the most part plus I can have it delivered to my door without going to the [censored] china mart

I have never seen any proof that these fairly pricey filters did anything a factory filter would not do. I have never had or heard of an engine air filtration failure that was related to a factory filter changed at the OE recommended interval.

Seems like a boutique item, I can see why they never made money on it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lubedude13
Got any proof that these other oils are as good or better? Not saying they aren't but where's the proof. Yeah some may be but some target oils such as the high zinc racing oils etc can't always be obtained at Walmart.

Need proof.....Just check out all the 10K to 15K UOA's for all the top-tier shelf oils on this web site. Its proof enough for me.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

Yes, and Donaldson themselves make almost NOTHING outside of oil burner apps.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Originally Posted By: wemay

+1.....IMO,The top-shelf oils (M-1, PP, M-1EP, Castrol Edge,PU) are priced so well that its hard to understand how Amsoil can continue, especially with their marketing program.

Most, if not all of the oils above, are IMO, as good as any Amsoil oil, have long OCI's (10K +), and can be easily obtained at great prices at Walmart.

When you can purchase a 15K filter such as the Fram Ultra, with high efficiency and a price under $9 at WM, why would anyone pay so much more for oil and filters that are at best equal.

But, there are always those who think that paying more equals better quality, which IMO is not the case here.

I tend to look at it the other way, i.e.; the prices of some of these 'on the shelf' synthetics (EVEN at Sino Mart, in quart bottles at least) are creeping up to the point of "why NOT spend only a little extra on the stouter add pack boutique stuff??"

Back to the point.....

I love the EA filters. I ran the last one for a good while before replacing it. It still looked clean after a fair amount of cleanings and use.

Only the good products die young I guess. The main reason I use Amsoil is the quality is very good. I can trust that.

Oh where can I find a synthetic compressor oil from......Oh Amsoil of course.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

Yes, and Donaldson themselves make almost NOTHING outside of oil burner apps.
frown.gif

They make a lot of the more common gas application filters too, but only with standard paper; Nothing in the synthetic material.

Originally Posted By: lubedude13
For some that's ok but I'd rather pay $5 more per oil change on amsoil than step foot in chinamart

Hard to understand your Walmart stance.

Walmart hung on with a strong buy USA effort longer than most retailers.

The problem is the USA is "Chinaworld."

Your government sold all of us out with their policies, like most-favored nation status, NAFTA, etc., etc., many years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back