Replace A/C pulley and clutch w/o discharge ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am fixing issues with an old 92 Toyota Camry 4 cylinder and the A/C pulley has significant side to side play. You don't see the play when the drive belt is turning it but I think it is also a source of noise that I'm hearing. When I took off the drive belt I was shocked with the amount of sideways motion in the pulley. The compressor itself still is cooling fine and does not leak.

Does anyone know if you can change out that clutch/pulley on the compressor (in the engine bay) without having to disconnect the refrigerant hoses?

It looks like if I remove the lower coolant hose I'll be able to remove the compressor bolts and twist it around some but don't know if I can get enough upward tilt to get to the snap rings that usually need removed to swap out the clutch. Since there are so many of these 4 cylinder Toyota engines out there I thought maybe someone here would know from experience.

Last edited:
You do not need to discharge the system to change the clutch / pulley. You don't have to touch any other part of the compressor, just leave it in place. Make sure you set proper clutch gap. Just go to your local auto parts store and they will hook you up. For the Camry, use angled snap ring pliers. On many FWD cars, removing the fender well simplifies the job. Though it looks like you have assessed this.
I have done a few FWD early 90's Toyota A/C clutches and it seemed straightforward.

Last edited:
hes going to have to unbolt the compressor as theres no room to get a puller between the hub and non removable inner fender. the problem will be the 20+yr old lines. they may break if he twists the compressor to work on it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back