What does Liqui-Moly CERATEC do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dennishiip
I have a brand new Ford Focus ST(turbocharged)rated at 250hp. When I reach 1500 miles, I will change the oil and add Ceratec. I emailed LM, and got an emphatic response to add the Ceratec ASAP. I'm waiting until first OC. I've had good results with MOS2, so I'm reasoning that the Ceratec with be even better for the new motor.

As I get older I believe none of what I hear and only half of what I see however I've had nothing but positive experiences with liqui-moly products and I use them in everything I own.
I've got Honda motors running air compressors with 15000+ hours of run time using mos2 every second oil change for years. I hear that's unheard of yet I've got 2 with that many hours,and accumulating more daily,and 14 more that are gaining 10 hours a day,every day.
Though I doubt you'll see any fuel economy gains I'm confident wear will be low to non existent. Just maintain the rest of the vehicle so it lasts as long as the engine

I added the LM Ceratec to my 05 Avalanche and my 95 Harley a couple weeks ago. Wife drove the Avalanche with the granddaughters and I rode the Harley on a 500 mile round trip to the beach right after the LM was added. I used Valvoline 5w30 conventional in the Avalanche and Harley 20w50 synthetic in the bike. We'll see how it goes.

Originally Posted By: GaleHawkins
We added Ceratec yesterday after 2000 Town car oil change and have driven 1400 miles and will see if we can see better mpg etc as well.

You won't be able to tell if there is a difference. Too many variables in MPG. Ceratec might only make a small difference at best.

Originally Posted By: vintageant
Curious to know what the difference/benefit is between Liqui-Moly MOS2 and L-M Ceratec. Which one to use for which desired outcome?

From the info I've gathered from liqui-moly,and years of experience using mos2 here's my take on it.
Both products work in the same way however ceratec is far more durable which means a single treatment lasts 30000 miles.
But in practice I've found that ceratec doesn't do much as far as a fuel economy benefit,however it does leave an extremely hard anti-wear layer which I feel lessens wear as a whole.

I've just changed the oil in my C3 and added ceratec. I'm going to run it for 10000 miles,then add mos2 and see if there's any fuel consumption differences.
I want to put the ceratec layer down first,for its anti wear properties,then mos2 for the friction reduction ability.

Has anybody used the L-M Ceratec in an automatic transmission? I noticed on the bottle it is for engines as well as transmissions.

Originally Posted By: GaleHawkins
We added Ceratec yesterday after 2000 Town car oil change and have driven 1400 miles and will see if we can see better mpg etc as well.

We make it into Canada and started visit customer in ND and SD and have worked back down to western MN. The mileage for the first 750 miles repeatedly hit 25 MPG. Today we hit over 2000 miles since adding Ceratec and the son checked what the computer was showing for MPG for about the last 50 miles of our drive today and the computer reported 27 which means nothing by itself but since we have a good 1500 miles to go before getting home you can bet we are going to once again be paying close attention to mileage.

I would like to hear about its use in transmissions as well.

From my research it takes 3000 miles for this nano technology to really coat to the max thickness and we should be there within the first week of adding it. The first day we ran for 13 hours with about 30 minutes of shut down time. I expect 13 straight hours would be better at coating than say 26 30 minute trips.

This in in a 2000 Towncar with the 4.6 V8 that just hit 150K and would be one quart low 5000 miles after each oil change.

I do hope to have it in all of our oil/air cooled engines well before winter.

Last edited:
Now after 3400 miles we see no change in MPG from Ceratec usage at rate stated on the bottle.

From the tear down of the Polaris engine after 11 hours of run time with Ceratec added it clearly coated the wear points.

Because these miles were put on in one week after the oil change and the Ceratec being added we are not going to change the oil for a while so the Ceratec if not already consume can still work. We have no objective way to determine if the Ceratec is of any value to the engine.

I don't think anything noticeable is going to happen in the short term. I'll change my oil and filter at 5,000 miles then add MOS2 at each oil change which will hopefully help with fuel mileage. No instant gratification here.....'patience grass hopper'.

My 5% - 7% increase in MPG has been with MoS2 and not so much with Cera Tec; both are friction modifiers. Currently, my newer vehicles all have Cera Tec in them. Then I'll go back to MoS2 for two years before applying another coat of Cera Tec after 25,000 - 30,000 miles.

Love both products, which perform as advertised.

The son did try to start it when it was running and we both agree the engine is more quiet. I like MoS2 it was used in this car at the last oil changed. The 4.3L in the S10 seems quieter and smoother on MoS2 as well. Not sure how long we are going to run the Ceratec before an oil change.

Liqui Moly does not recommend that you use MoS2 and Cera Tec together, even though no harm will be done.

One of their engineers told me via e-mail that Cera Tec will bond a little better if you don't add MoS2 at the same time. For this reason and others, I run a can of Cera Tec every two years and a 5% or 6% solution of MoS2 in-between.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Liqui Moly does not recommend that you use MoS2 and Cera Tec together, even though no harm will be done.

One of their engineers told me via e-mail that Cera Tec will bond a little better if you don't add MoS2 at the same time. For this reason and others, I run a can of Cera Tec every two years and a 5% or 6% solution of MoS2 in-between.

From what I understand about the use of the Archoil 9300 version of boron nano tech solution I agree. It sounds like the cleaner the metal the better Ceratec or AR 9300 will bond. MoS2 would compete for the same metal surface I gather.

Just broke 200,000 miles in my 2002 Ford Taurus.
She still purrs. Most of that was before I started doing 5,000 mile OCI's. I used to religiously do 3,000 mile OCI's.

Anyways, you guys have me interested.

However, before I bite, I'm curious as to how many of you guys currently have this in your crankcase?

I ordered Ceratec and put it with an oil change per instructions. I used delo 15/40. I now have 4000 miles on the treatment. I have also been using LCD. My initial impressions were the same as when I used liqui-moly. It seemed as though a blanket was thrown over the engine. (1981 Turbo Volvo B21FT SOHC). The oil looks like honey and the engine is nice and smooth. I'm going to change it at 5K if it looks like I need it although I suspect it will still look like honey and if so I won't. No oil usage either. When I do change it, I'm guessing I'll use liqui-moly. There seems to be some confusion about which oil change to add but it can't do any harm to do it directly. Good stuff this.

If archoil does the same thing, it sounds like that may be an alternative but I'm holding with Ceratec and moly. I don't want a conflict going with competing products, I do think that LCD is complimentary in dealing with oxidation. I'm satisfied with the synergy. I did notice an increase in fuel mileage in tank-to-tank highway miles but nothing in combination driving.

I'm wondering if I should use synthetic with my next oil change. I'll have to ponder that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back