F150 First Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
2014 F150 5.0.

I am using it for towing/ daily driver and have 500 miles so far including towing miles.

For break-in when should I do my first oil and filter change and when should I change the rear diff fluid.

I will be using Amsoil XL 5W-20 and Motor craft filters and Amsoil Severe Gear diff.

Thanks

Aren't you supposed to hold off for a thousand miles before towing something?

I'd let it run til 10% or until the IOLM tells you to change. For one thing you have a gigantic sump in the 5.0. So, assuming you keep the level up with the correct grade and quality of oil there's nothing to worry about since you have such a big margin of error. I don't see much point in putting fancy oils in an 8 quart sump.

I believe Ford schedules the first differential oil change at 150K miles. I admit it: I'm a hypocrite. I changed mine at 18K. My reasoning--well, OK-- rationalization was that Fords supposedly develop a differential whine. Plus, psychologically, a differential oil change at 150K "feels" more like an unscheduled repair more than maintenance. finally, I figured that since there's no filter for the diff, if there was any truth to the "left-over crud from the manufacturing process" trashing your car theory, it would be the diff.

I'm a fan of early change for the engine, so at least by 3k IMO, then by olm under warranty.

Dave I'm surprised you suggest a diff.change at 3k on a 150k service interval, and an engine oci right to the.max the first time. Logic eludes me here.

Edit: rraiderr, XL with MC is a great combo, it is what I am running at the moment, with no consumption after 7k.

Last edited:
I would follow your owner's manual on your new truck.

I changed the oil in my rear differential at 13,300; I wanted to do it at 10K, but I also wanted to install a Mag-Hytec cover on it at the same time and was late ordering it. I think 3K is a little early for a change, I would go at least 5-10K. I used MC synthetic 75W-140 until this last OC and then switched to Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-140. I plan to take a sample soon and see where I am since I have about 61K on the Amsoil now.

Here are the UOAs for both of my changes to date:

2010 FX4 9.75 ELD UOAs

Originally Posted By: Kuato
I'm a fan of early change for the engine, so at least by 3k IMO, then by olm under warranty.

Dave I'm surprised you suggest a diff.change at 3k on a 150k service interval, and an engine oci right to the.max the first time. Logic eludes me here.

Edit: rraiderr, XL with MC is a great combo, it is what I am running at the moment, with no consumption after 7k.

After break in there will be 4 to 6 times more metals floating around in the diff compared to universal averages. The engine is normally the most durable part of the drivetrain on a vehicle thus it has far the least concern in my mind. The engine is often over maintained during the life of the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: Kuato

After break in there will be 4 to 6 times more metals floating around in the diff compared to universal averages. The engine is normally the most durable part of the drivetrain on a vehicle thus it has far the least concern in my mind. The engine is often over maintained during the life of the vehicle.

I understand your logic for the diff; but although the engine oil is filtered, there is still that 4-6 times more metals floating around in the engine oil after break in.....thanks for the reply though.

IMHO, 150K for the first differential service is crazy. The gear surfaces are wearing against each other until they mate with each other with use. During this process, metal particles from the wear in the mating process are floating around in the differential.

These wear particles from the initial mating greatly add undue wear unless removed. The only way to remove them is to drain the gear oil. Most of the initial wear occurs during the first 5,000 to 10,000 miles of use. If it were my vehicle, I would service the differential sooner rather than later. Personally, I believe draining the differential at 5,000 miles is cheap insurance.

Originally Posted By: Bud
I would follow your owner's manual on your new truck.

I agree.

OP please confirm if you have read the OEM manual, if it is unclear, if you wish to ignore it or you see BITOG is an authoritative alternative or other.

Just for interests sake it keeps puzzling "new car" new manual no what is this for ?.

Last edited:
I generally could not really argue effectively why I liked to change all fluids throughout a new vehicle within the first 5000 miles until I got my 2013 Silverado.

When I did the rear diff, the lube had been under filled at factory by 1.5 pints, obviously not checked when dealer prepped vehicle. When I did the transfer case, the fluid looks like something in a septic tank, in stead of a cherry color that ATF would normally have, and the magnetic plug looked like a cat that had it's tail stuck in a light socket. I did a another change of the transfer case about 3000 miles later, and the fluid was nice and cherry this time, but the plug had picked up some more residual metal filings, but not anything like the first go around. Front diff and transmission changeout, when I did the other stuff the first time, seemed fine, but I am more comfortable that those factory fills are out of there.

Now I feel comfortable going with the OEM intervals on components. This vehicle might have been the exception to the norm, but it sure justified my comfort in changing all fluids early on.

I agree with TiredTrucker:

But I'm not your normal Auto Owner! I would rather have that warm and fuzzy feeling inside {Just Knowing} ALL the fluids within my new Ram are Clean and Full.

I have plans draining my diff oil somewhere around 10K-15K miles. Then adding a PML diff cover that has a drain and fill plug. Makes gear oil changes So Easy! About 15 min.

Transfer Case and Front Diff was fine.

I spent a lot of Hard Earned $$$ on my Ram! I gave myself piece of mind, just knowing all fluids were Checked or Changed.

If I only had plans on keeping this Ram till 50K miles or so? I wouldn't give a wombats butt.

Every owner is different and has different intentions.

I did change the factory fill motor oil @ 1K miles. Was it the right thing to do? I don't know! But It made me feel better about my investment!

I have enough in life to worry about! Worrying about what others think about me changing my oil early is irrelevant.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker

When I did the rear diff, the lube had been under filled at factory by 1.5 pints, obviously not checked when dealer prepped vehicle.

TiredTrucker- are you sure that diff was under filled? If yours is a half ton (I thought I remembered reading that it was), many of those diffs were purposely ran 10mm below the fill plug. Most or all have a tag stating as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back