Use Coolant Water Pump Lube + Anti Rust or Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On cars that you want to keep a long time...

Here's Bar's Leak version of Water Pump Lube + Anti-Rust:

http://barsproducts.com/catalog/view/18-cooling-system-water-pump-lube-with-anti-rust-1311

Here's their summary: "Bar’s Leaks Cooling System Water Pump Lube with Anti-Rust protects aluminum, copper, iron and all other parts of the cooling system to help prevent the formation of rust and corrosion.

The water soluble oil formula lubricates the thermostat and the water pump seal. Compatible with ALL brands of antifreeze including conventional green or blue (Silicate-based) and extended life red/orange or yellow (OAT/HOAT) coolant. A must use if running only water in the cooling system, especially racing
applications.

OEM quality meets leading car and truck manufacturer requirements. For best results install once every 15,000 miles.
"

What say you? Does it help?

If you are using approved coolant for your vehicle and keeping up with maintenance of it, then I would say its not needed.

Of course the manufacturer will have claims.

If you are running plain water then maybe a different story.

Useless product.
Modern antifreeze/coolant has all the metal protection properties your engine needs.
Water pumps built in the last 60+ years have no need for oil or grease, the bearings are sealed like a hub bearing.

A very old engine that uses water pump packing material and grease fitting or cup my have some use for this stuff.

The worst thing you can subject modern EPDM rubber hoses and seals to is oil, water soluble (cutting oil) or otherwise.

I change out 1 gallon of coolant every 50,000 miles in all of my cars. Never an issue. But I did use the prestone anti-rust additive in all of my boats for the past 30 years. They all had Dexcool. All of them had spotless cooling systems and they were subject to sitting for months.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Amazing how many people still put Water Pump Lube into their coolant.

There's one born every minute,

That's what I thought. I never use it.

Saw it on the shelves & was wondering...

That's dumb. But adding HEET to E10, that's smart!

Originally Posted By: eljefino

That's dumb. But adding HEET to E10, that's smart!

lol.gif
Its not like you go a gallon of alcohol with the last 10 gal you bought right.
As long as people keep buying it they will keep selling it same as this stuff.

I don't see the point when many water pumps go for ages using only the OE specified coolant and nothing else. I'm convinced that when you use the OE specified antifreeze you get everything you need and nothing you don't need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back