04 malibu rack and pinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody replaced one? My Malibu needs it and I don't know if I should take it in or do it at home. I am an experienced wrench on trucks but have not done a rack in decades.

I have all the tools, stands, etc.at home.
It"s of course the EPS so no fluid or lines to deal with.It looks pretty easy.

I have already done the intermediate shaft and tie rods but the rack itself is shot. I thought the inner tie rod was bad again because of excess play at the tire but when I removed the inner tie rod boot to check there is a lot of up and down play in the shaft coming out of the rack itself,the tie rods are fine.

The thing that determines difficulty is how the P/S rack is located in a car. If you had to replace one in a Dodge Dakota, it would be a simple task, but if you had to do the same thing in a Ford Taurus, you might get really stressed. You will have to look at how your car was built to determine your situation. Go to a fan site for your car and search for DIY steering rack replacement to know if DIY-ing the job is worth the time.

Always buy a premium grade reman P/S rack. I have dealt with too many cheap P/S racks that fail one year later. Those racks are usually covered in cheap black paint that was carelessly applied.

Originally Posted By: oilmutt
I had ours replaced by the chevy dealer at no cost under special adjustment # 10183A-power steering assist.

I already had the assist replaced once under warranty and now it is recalled again to replace with an updated unit. That is the assist unit in the upper column. I am not aware of any program for the rack and pinion but I will check. 11 years old with 106,000 miles also.

One video is on youtube but bad video and annoying music. Also not exactly my car. I searched the Malibu forum and no info.
I just looked at it again and it looks extremely easy, I ordered a rack from the Napa I deal with at work and got special pricing,will post after its done next weekend.
By the way,Rock auto, Napa ,Oreilys and advance all sell the Cardone unit, all the same part number.. The Napa (made by cardone) comes with a lifetime warranty however so any problems will be easier to resolve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back