Made a switch. From a5/b5 to a3/b4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.

for the last 3 OCI's and from the time we got this car. i have bin filling it with European Valvoline synpower 5w-30 FE a5/b5. Due to oil consumption(about 1 litre in 10.000 km) the fact that the engine is not new anymore. and a feeling that the oil might be too thin when letting the engine work hard(the idle seem a bit harder if i had bin driving with 130-140 km/h for 1 or 2 hours)i changed to the not fuel conserving Synpower a3/b4. after 500 km i think i can make a conclusion, though it might change trough the OCI.

i can differently say the things mentioned above are no longer things to notice. of course it is too early to talk about oil consumption. the engine runs quieter both at idle and at redlining. the engine also seems a bit more crisp and on it's toes if you can call it that. the fuel consumption is the same as earlier. had a 2 hour drive today, and the feeling of the oil being to thin was gone. all this might be some kind of placebo effect. but it feel pretty real to me. now i will wait and the if i still feel a difference in 10.000 km.

it seems strange to me that the actually pretty small difference between the two oils should give a noticeable effect, but what do you all think?

links to the two oils here

http://www.valvolineeurope.com/english/products/engine_oils/synpower/cid(7545)/synpower_fe_5w-30

http://www.valvolineeurope.com/english/products/engine_oils/synpower/cid(7536)/synpower_5w-30

sorry if my English seems strange, it is not my native language
smile.gif

Søren

You consider a litre in 10,000kms high oil consumption?

You haven't mentioned what car you have but if it's spec'd for A5/B5 there will be no lubrication benefit in running the heavier A3/B4 oil and cruising at a modest 130-140 is very easy on an engine. And yes I think what you're noticing is the placebo effect.

Anyway you're running the heavier oil now so let us know if the oil consumption is less.

If your car is designed with low tension rings, changing to an A3 oil may increase your consumption. FWIW

Oldtommy

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
You consider a litre in 10,000kms high oil consumption?

You haven't mentioned what car you have but if it's spec'd for A5/B5 there will be no lubrication benefit in running the heavier A3/B4 oil and cruising at a modest 130-140 is very easy on an engine. And yes I think what you're noticing is the placebo effect.

Anyway you're running the heavier oil now so let us know if the oil consumption is less.

The car is spec'ed for 5w-20 5-w30 a5/b5 or 10w-40 a3/b4. You can use whatever you wan't in our climate. But yes. Time will show :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back